• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

colossal cave / Adventure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

colossal cave / Adventure

does anyone remember this game, I played it on CPM, DOS and Windows O/S. But who has compleated it?????
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

I think the DOS version I played had been written in FORTRAN.

At least it had reams of FORTRAN libraries in it when you read it with a hex editor...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I think the DOS version I played had been written in FORTRAN.

At least it had reams of FORTRAN libraries in it when you read it with a hex editor...

so you also tried to cheat, I did the same with Kings Quest 1
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

(whatever these are)

Comment

Never did me any good.

I don't play many games & that one palled quite quickly.

Liked Qbert & the Snake though.

It was written in IBM compiled basic with delay loops... great on an XT, just about playable on a 6MHz AT, and totally unplayable on anything later.

Run it on a machine today & everything happens so fast that you simply can't react.

Great fun.
        6Mhz AT was the the IBM AT, did you ever replace the crystal with a 8 or 9 Mhz one to get it running faster, if you were lucky it would work.....them were the days....
        SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner
          6Mhz AT was the the IBM AT, did you ever replace the crystal with a 8 or 9 Mhz one to get it running faster, if you were lucky it would work.....them were the days....
          The joys of a 286...

Anyway, amongst the Scott Adams adventures I preferred "The Count"
          Oh Jesus - Disaster Management Ltd.
          You know you'll need us!

Comment

Yup. The IBM AT with piggy back ram chips... a real bitch to find the dead one.

I think it had a whole megabyte of ram.

(Piggy back: there were two DIL ram chips soldered together and put into each DIL ram socket on the motherboard.

This was long long long before SILs, SIMMs, DIMMS etc.).
            do you also use the expansion card, the 8 bit one, you could get some rather nifty software which told you which legs were not correctly seated, this thing took about 50x8 leg chips, and was a real bitch to populate.
            SA says;

(whatever these are)

Comment

Those were the days.... wipes tear from rheumy old eye... careful not to drop tear into keyboard or it'll be typing by itself for the rest of the day.
              Aye ZG

But I do find nostalgia just aint what it used to be...

Comment

With computing though nostalgia is indeed a strange beast, simply because how quickly the present, and future, becomes the past.

Sometimes its quite interesting how many things there are, in such a short period, that people are nostalgic about...

PS: Has anyone got a tissue...

Comment

I remember "Twin kingdom Valley" on the Commodore 64 / Acorn Electron back in the 80s .. wasn't this a spin off or copy of Collosus Caves.

Ah waving that big rod trying to get the bridge up accross the valley brings good memories.

So does 'The Hobbit' adventure game ... jump on Gandalf's back (ooer missus) to get out of the cellar that the goblins put you in.

Also there were other adventure games like Kentilla and one on the C64 called The Count were you had to assasinate Dracula pure class.

I used to work with the guys who did the Magnetic Scrolls games (and knew the founder) remember The Pawn and Guld of Theives on the Atari ST ?

yeah those were the days ...

Comment

It's probably about time to highlight this piece of retro gaming nostalgia again...

Hey Hey 16k

Work safe but turn your sound down if in an open plan office.

Comment

Working...
                    X