• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Top ten tricks used by Agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top ten tricks used by Agencies

Hi All

fairly new on here (and to conracting) and I keep getting calls from agencies

Just read this - Agencies top ten tricks

What are the best response to each of the 10 things (especially 1-5)?

BTW great site

Hello Gerry

Comment

1. They phone you up saying that they have several jobs that you are suitable for. They need you, however, first to supply them with references. Is this true? No, it isn’t. They do not have any jobs for you. They are just trying to find out people who take on contractors and want to know the names and phone numbers of your old bosses.

Sorry, no references until after interview stage. Don't like it? Bye!

2. They’ll say, “Who did you work for at BT. Was it Graham Sutherland”? “No”, you say. “It was John Salisbury”. Now the agent has a contact at your old firm that they can call up to ask him if he is looking for any contractors.

I make up a name. Mike Hunt.

3. They post jobs on job boards that don’t exist. They are only trying to get themselves a number of extra CVs to increase their own database. When you send in your CV, they’ll say that the job is gone.

I always ring the agency and discuss the role, I never blat my CV on job boards. You soon learn what's real and what isn't.

4. They’ll ask you, “Tell us what companies that your CV has already been sent out to, so that we don’t make the mistake of sending your CV there again, which could cost you a job interview”. If you tell them, then they now know what companies are looking for contractors, and they can then put some other candidates up in opposition to you. Don’t think they wouldn’t.

I just don't tell them where my CV is.

5. When they are asking you what your rate for the job is they might say, “What’s your bottom line? What’s the least that you would take to get a job? Obviously we will try to get as much as we can for you”. No they won’t. Your bottom line now becomes the most you’ll get for any job. They’ll still try and get as much as they can from the client, but they’ll keep any extra they can get for themselves. How many people have actually heard from an agent “We’ve managed to get you a higher rate than you were asking for?”

I say it depends on the role, location, duration, skill set and prospects and I ask what is the maximum they will pay.

Comment

Working...
      X