• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HR and PSLs/Whinge for the day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HR and PSLs/Whinge for the day

I am convinced that PSLs are in place not because companies wish to aggregate their demand, and streamline their agency supplier base with the best and most suitable solutions to finding the skills they need, but to make life as easy as possible for the idiots that work in them.

Because recruitment people are so damned lazy they will not bother to investigate the merits of what is being offered but instead retreat behind the barricades of "we have a Preffered supplier list".

Now I am quite happy to accept that DA enterprises offers little or nothing that the market does not already have, and I accept no one has an obligation to engage in a conversation with me about recruitment. Anyway I call a company (big one) and ask to be put through to recruitment and I am told that they dont put agencies through. "Fine" I say. I then asked to be put through to the managing director and without any argument I am on to his PA and through her I am now communicating with the man at the top (lucky chap ). This will mean that at the very least he will cast a glance over an email that presumably should be the job of someone further ( a lot further) down the line of command.

This begs the question as to why on earth am I important enough for the MDs secretary/PA (and by proxy the MD himself), yet I am not important enough to be put through to some low life ex recruitiment consultant that couldnt hack it?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

The whole point of have Streamlined PSL and HR is to give managers more time for project work and to drive down rates. I too could implement a system that would have the same effect/benefit. I simply kill all potential candidates with that skill set therfore the manager never gets to see any expensive and suitable qualified people. I would charge a very reasonable rate for this service.
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I am convinced that PSLs are in place not because companies wish to aggregate their demand, and streamline their agency supplier base with the best and most suitable solutions to finding the skills they need, but to make life as easy as possible for the idiots that work in them.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        The whole point of have Streamlined PSL and HR is to give managers more time for project work and to drive down rates. I too could implement a system that would have the same effect/benefit. I simply kill all potential candidates with that skill set therfore the manager never gets to see any expensive and suitable qualified people. I would charge a very reasonable rate for this service.
        I will add that some of the HR people who are ex recruitment people are extremely good. Especially the ones that use DA
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Because recruitment people are so damned lazy they will not bother to investigate the merits of what is being offered but instead retreat behind the barricades of "we have a Preffered supplier list".

Now I am quite happy to accept that DA enterprises offers little or nothing that the market does not already have, and I accept no one has an obligation to engage in a conversation with me about recruitment. Anyway I call a company (big one) and ask to be put through to recruitment and I am told that they dont put agencies through. "Fine" I say. I then asked to be put through to the managing director and without any argument I am on to his PA and through her I am now communicating with the man at the top (lucky chap ). This will mean that at the very least he will cast a glance over an email that presumably should be the job of someone further ( a lot further) down the line of command.

This begs the question as to why on earth am I important enough for the MDs secretary/PA (and by proxy the MD himself), yet I am not important enough to be put through to some low life ex recruitiment consultant that couldnt hack it?
          It didn't make it past my 'rule' and is in the deleted items folder already.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            It didn't make it past my 'rule' and is in the deleted items folder already.

HTH.

Does your "rule" involve personal delivery of a message by a 30 year old bit of blond totty with all the right equipment in all the right places by any chance OS?

Comment

Confucius' rule of large organisations; he who seek logic find only convoluted nonsense.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Does your "rule" involve personal delivery of a message by a 30 year old bit of blond totty with all the right equipment in all the right places by any chance OS?
                Hell No!

What time should I expect her? I might have a desktop position for her

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Confucius' rule of large organisations; he who seek logic find only convoluted nonsense.
                  And going for the top is not always the right approach.

Comment

If you bear with me for a moment, I believe that human beings, as creatures of habit, have our own internal PSL's.

Eg, the places we shop at, where we eat, the brands we wear, the music we buy, even the type of friends we associate with.

A PSL, in personal terms, is part of our identity and idiom.

It's not surprising therefore to see that PSL's have migrated in to the business arena, because they are a human invention that we bring with us from our personal life.

PSL's are a barrier, granted, but consider this :

If you are happy with the service you receive from someone on your PSL, why would you go to the effort of wasting time in choosing another ?

It's one thing to shop around for the best deal, but to be honest, there are so many companies offering the same thing, that it becomes counter-productive assessing each and every new potential offer.

There are probably 15 different DIY stores within 30 minutes drive of where I live. I want a trowel for the garden. Do I travel to each and every store to see the whole range of trowels, before going back to the first one ? Of course not. I go to the store that I have been to before many times, because I know what to expect and a trowel is a trowel at the end of the day.

So it is with many PSL's.
                    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                    X