• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

do you work for the agency or for yourself?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one agency who wanted me to be one of theirs, as far as the client was concerned. For example, they gave me an email address at their domain, and said they wanted me to use that in all my communications with the client.

Is this reasonable? Would you do it?

Are you a resource that the agency provides to the client, or are you an independent contractor sourced by the agency for the client?

Or are you AndyW and you don't care as long as you get paid?

Might be the wrong choise but I would go for the Andy W option !
    Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      I had one agency who wanted me to be one of theirs, as far as the client was concerned. For example, they gave me an email address at their domain, and said they wanted me to use that in all my communications with the client.

Is this reasonable? Would you do it?

Are you a resource that the agency provides to the client, or are you an independent contractor sourced by the agency for the client?

Or are you AndyW and you don't care as long as you get paid?
      Nope and independent.

Tell the pimp to shove it up his hoop...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        Nope and independent.

Tell the pimp to shove it up his hoop...
        Well, I ate it up on the grounds that, although I didn't like it, I expect a certain amount of effin aboot from an agent, so I'd let one go. Subsequent events proved that what I was doing was ignoring a warning sign......

So I changed my ways: all communications have my email and business phone number on them. Even when I'm using the client addresses, on go my own at the bottom for reference.

Reason 1: they might want to contact me when I'm not in the office.
        Reason 2: they might want to contact me later in life without passing by an intermediary ...
        Last edited by expat; 19 February 2009, 19:10.

Comment

Any IR 35 Issues? And what is it gonna do to your house price?

Myself, in my day I'd tell 'em to shove it. Remember, they are agent for the clientco not for you.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
            Neither.

I work for a small Ltd Co owned by me and Her Ladyship.
            Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

I did work for a consultancy that wanted that. They wanted us to look like employees of the consultancy to their client. The contract I had was direct with the consultancy.

I would never do it again.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

In the current market I would go for it : then just do my own thing. think of the money!

Comment

I am employed by the limited company of which I am a director and owner.

I have an email address at client co and at intermediate co, but I have set both to forward all email to my own company email address, which is all I use.

I do all development and documentation on my own equipment and only use client co equipment to put stuff into configuration management tools once completed, and to test on - my co doesn't own a railway signalling system.

Comment

Expat- can't see the difference between being given an agency email or a client email address. Pref should be neither, but both options appear equal from an IR35 perspective, IMHO.
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Working...
                    X