• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gigs, everytime it happens, why?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigs, everytime it happens, why?

Why does this happen? Accept the gig and then I get a number of offers, some better, but can't accept. This week I have been offered 4 gigs and each one is pretty good (one was €70,000 for just 87 days cover) but because the war chest is getting pretty low I accept the first albeit it is probably better for expanding my skills horizon but still...This happened last time I was looking for a new project and really winds me up. Is there some kind of mystical being that just wants to wind you up? Mind you it shows that the market is healthy for my skills...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Just finishing in Darmstadt at the end of next week and looking for something to do

Comment

Ditto, took a gig and a 12 monther came up doing the work I like best. I've never dumped a client before but this time I'm tempted.
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Ditto, took a gig and a 12 monther came up doing the work I like best. I've never dumped a client before but this time I'm tempted.
        I've never done it either, but seeing as they'll dump you at the drop of a hat, it might be worthwhile.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Why does this happen? Accept the gig and then I get a number of offers, some better, but can't accept. This week I have been offered 4 gigs and each one is pretty good (one was €70,000 for just 87 days cover) but because the war chest is getting pretty low I accept the first albeit it is probably better for expanding my skills horizon but still...This happened last time I was looking for a new project and really winds me up. Is there some kind of mystical being that just wants to wind you up? Mind you it shows that the market is healthy for my skills...
          If you are getting, as you claim , such stellar rates - despite the vicious recession in Germany - how come your War Chest is so depleted ?

Just curious ...

PS Good luck expat - but somehow I doubt that DA will help you - lets home Im wrong with my inkling !

Comment

A toughie, could be a lot of repeat work with this one. Heart says go head says no
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Why does this happen?
              Life is a B*tch!

But Hey there are lots worse problems you could have.... Like No Gig!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                how come your War Chest is so depleted ?
                Just take a look at his car!
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                  If you are getting, as you claim , such stellar rates - despite the vicious recession in Germany - how come your War Chest is so depleted ?

Just curious ...
                  The car, the apartment, the finery (I am a contractor for gods sakes!) and of course taxes. I'm paying the taxes for 2007 at the moment and have another one for 2008 coming up. Germany tax is worked out slightly different to UK tax.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
                    Just finishing in Darmstadt at the end of next week and looking for something to do
                    Probably a different field to me. These are all mainframe sysprog positions. Hope you're checking out Gulp though, seen a couple of positions in DA recently. Good luck...

Comment

Working...
                    X