• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you react...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you react...

when the contract you have been hired for changes and you find yourself performing work that wasn't originally specified or you don't want to do.

Do you have a right to be pissed off or is it a case of shut up and put up as you are getting paid loadsa moolah for it.

After a few months of Client Cos. ineptitude and changing what is required am seriously thinking of bailing - only after securing a new gig obviously.

You have no right to be pissed off - who are you going to get pissed off with - yourself for sending you to work on a contract that does not fit your skill set??

If you feel the requested work is not what your company does then feel free to give the required notice and leave.

But as you say when you have somewhere to go.

Comment

For me it's a case of shut up and keep invoicing.

I've not done anything what I was hired to do for the last 6 weeks, in fact I've literally not done anything in the last 6 weeks! Client knows I'm sat here doing squat, but is content to have the comfort factor of someone on site that will answer their questions.

Bloody boring though, would be suicidal if is wasn't for my iPhone and Stanza

Comment

Thats typically how I end up learning stuff and gaining experience in technology which I otherwise wouldn't even get put forward for
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
          when the contract you have been hired for changes and you find yourself performing work that wasn't originally specified or you don't want to do.

Do you have a right to be pissed off or is it a case of shut up and put up as you are getting paid loadsa moolah for it.

After a few months of Client Cos. ineptitude and changing what is required am seriously thinking of bailing - only after securing a new gig obviously.
          Your contract cantchange unless you agree to the changes. What you mean is the work you're expected to do has changed.

I often find its good to be pragmatic in such cases unless its something outside your skillset that you dont like or cant be expected to perform.

The first thought may be to walk but really look on it as an opportunity to impress the client and possibly learn new skills. If you can adapt and do the work, all well and good but be careful you arent doing more complex work than what you were recruited and paid for.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

This happened to me 15 months ago. After a 6 months job I got renewed but asked to go to another section of the company. The bloke there clearly wanted a staff guy but had been refused and I was sent along instead. He tried to make me act like "part of the team" etc.. and generally hadn't a clue about working with contractors. It took me 6 weeks to line up a new gig but I was out of there fast as possible. It's not worth being miserable, but with the bench a possibility these days, you need to be canny about it.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Just go in, do the job, and put the new skills on your CV for the next role.. who knows it may earn you more further down the line. I've never complained when I've been asked to do anything outside my role.. in fact I always take it with both hands knowing it serves this purpose and builds a superior CV and skillset/knowledge!

(Unless of course they just want you to work as the tea boy and it really is a piss take).
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Are you retarded ?
                there are millions on the dole, people starving in Africa, wars everywhere, and you are moaning that 'the job spec has changed a little bit. I wanna take my bat and ball' sheesh, some people. be grateful and grow up for gods sake

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

be as pissed off as you like. But do you want the gig? You're not a permie you sad prat.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Leave ? of course you should. There is nothing more irritating than a bunch of inept managers shifting the ground from under your feet. Tell them straight 'it's not what I signed up for, I feel that it is in everyones best interests that I move on' , and good luck

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X