• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Banks: interesting view from Duncan Bannatyne...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banks: interesting view from Duncan Bannatyne...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5733424.ece

We need to stop the banks lending to each other.” Isn’t one of the economy’s main problems that inter-bank lending has all but collapsed? “No, no, no. The system would be much better if they stopped lending to each other. They’re just sending the same pot of money around and around and every time someone takes commission out of it. I don’t see why they do it . . . Supermarkets don’t lend fruit and veg to each other.
    So that's why the govt. need to rescue so many banks!

I don’t want Bank A to lend to Bank B to lend to Bank C. I want them to lend to me!
    Just like recessions make companies look at their organisational structures and strip out layers of management, shouldn't banks do the same and strip out some of the middlemen?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
    http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5733424.ece

So that's why the govt. need to rescue so many banks!

Just like recessions make companies look at their organisational structures and strip out layers of management, shouldn't banks do the same and strip out some of the middlemen?
    There often are no middlemen. And the banks only borrow/lend when they need to/have excess funds.

If Bannatyne thinks it is so easy he should open a bank.

Comment

Agreed - stick to simple business models a la Ice Cream vans and Reggae-Reggae sauce you gobtulipe sweaty-sock!

Comment

Never rated DB much, he's certainly not Alan Sugar or Richard Branson. I guess his comments go along way to explaining this.

Comment

Hold on. If banks weren't allowed to lend to each other, they'd all have to ensure that their funds were solvent. That is, that they don't lend more than they've got in deposits.

Why is that a bad thing?

Comment

The supermarket analogy does not hold well methinks - I imagine not all banks are like supermarkets. Some may be, but others are probably more like smaller grocery stores who have to buy fruit and veg from a wholesaler, so I can see the need for wholesale banks and retail banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Hold on. If banks weren't allowed to lend to each other, they'd all have to ensure that their funds were solvent. That is, that they don't lend more than they've got in deposits.

Why is that a bad thing?
              Because no one bank can get enough in CASH deposits to fund all the loans the bank feels it needs to make to ensure sufficient profits are made to justify the really big bonuses they want to pay. So, its bad for the bankers!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                There often are no middlemen. And the banks only borrow/lend when they need to/have excess funds.

If Bannatyne thinks it is so easy he should open a bank.
                so are you saying this A lending to B lending to C thing doesn't really happen?
                Last edited by MPwannadecentincome; 22 February 2009, 23:35.

Comment

Someone needs to tell him where we are with this - and then order him out!

Comment

Originally posted by jkoder View Post
                    Never rated DB much, he's certainly not Alan Sugar or Richard Branson. I guess his comments go along way to explaining this.
                    I'm willing to bet he makes a shed more money than you do though mate...
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Working...
                    X