• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses on rented temp accom while on away gig

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses on rented temp accom while on away gig

Hello.

Recently I took a new contract which needs me to live/work away from my main office in the UK. I run my own ltd company.

So I know that I can claim such expenses (accom, mileage subsistence), the difference now is that my partner has also moved in with me at the place I have rented for this contract.

So my idea was to only claim half the rent from my Ltd? The tenancy agreement we took out was a personal one with the landlord, both of our names on the contract.

So I would record expenses my ltd would reimburse me:

Half rent
    All phone bill
    All Broadband bill
    half electric bill
    half water bill
    half council tax

Not claimed:
    TV license

Does that all sound fine? Anyone else doing similar?

Cheers, Richy

With your partner moving in it sounds like your main residence has moved.

Go and talk to your accountant as you are not an MP.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      as you are not an MP.
      Are you sure about that? I think he ticks all but one of the boxes. I think he should have at least claimed the TV license.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        With your partner moving in it sounds like your main residence has moved.

Go and talk to your accountant as you are not an MP.

You should talk to your accountant, but as long as you do have a main residence elsewhere, claiming should not be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Little'Old Me View Post
          You should talk to your accountant, but as long as you do have a main residence elsewhere, claiming should not be a problem.
          Ok, yes, I checked with accountant and QDos. as claiming half this accom is similar to the previous temp accom I rented while on contract it is confirmed to be fine. HMRC don't have a problem with company's like mine, as long as we are reasonable!

Cheers, richy

Comment

Dividends to other shareholder in same company but working in different industry

Removed.
            Last edited by richy; 1 March 2009, 16:34. Reason: Oops removed

Comment

Working...
            X