• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going back to skool?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to skool?

I was talking with the Doc earlier this week about working and was told not to over-do it etc. He asked what I would do as an alternative if things went wrong since all my clients are financial.

We got talking about going back to education. Not as a teacher but to study. I fancy doing a PhD, but exactly sure in what; math, economics, trading or something I suppose.

Question is: What would the members of the congregation study if they went back to skool?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

I saw an interesting course in workplace psychology.. would probably feel inclined to add that to my CV at some point.

Interestingly enough you can get on doing it without an actual background in psychology..

http://www.worc.ac.uk/courses/8451.html *

*Just a pity I don't live near Worcester.. but I'm sure there will be similar geographically.. ideally distance learning.
    Last edited by chris79; 22 February 2009, 13:49.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I would study dramatics. The ones at uni seemed very chilled : little coursework and sh4g lots of women.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        I was talking with the Doc earlier this week about working and was told not to over-do it etc. He asked what I would do as an alternative if things went wrong since all my clients are financial.

We got talking about going back to education. Not as a teacher but to study. I fancy doing a PhD, but exactly sure in what; math, economics, trading or something I suppose.

Question is: What would the members of the congregation study if they went back to skool?
        There are quite a lot of interesting subjects to choose.

The only thing I am sure I know is what I would NEVER study again.... that is I.T./Computer Science. NEVER... EVER.... and would not recommend to anyone either...
        I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
          There are quite a lot of interesting subjects to choose.

The only thing I am sure I know is what I would NEVER study again.... that is I.T./Computer Science. NEVER... EVER.... and would not recommend to anyone either...
          out of interest, why not Francko?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
            out of interest, why not Francko?
            Because of the sector. There is no more money in I.T. since 2000ish. It has become a very boring sector with nothing innovative to work on and it's open to everybody with any backgroung so a degree in IT is wasted. The best bet is to get a comfy mid manager position where you don't have to do any work apart from appearing smart and be a dumb and boring intellect like sasguru so that you are not tempted to commit suicide thinking about what you do for a living... no, it's not all rosy, isn't it?
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I would do international relations, politics, security - that sort of thing.

In fact, I was looking at precisely that today...
              Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                I agree. I have advised youngsters against it for a number of years too.

I'm almost begining to believe in media studies so that they can become TV critics, record producers, etc.

There is frack all chance of getting a job doing anything constuctive these days.
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I'd do something in information security. It's a growth area - boomed
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Paleontology - I find it all fascinating
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X