• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaia theory

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaia theory

James Lovelock was on R4 this morning. He reckons within 100 years the population level will be reduced from 7 billion to 1 billion. Also, he says climate refugees will be coming to places such as the UK in huge numbers.

He reckons we need to start building the infrastructure to take these refugees now and that we need to invest in schools, roads and houses for them.

Having listened to him, I don't think I can take him seriously, although he does mention over-population as more of an issue than carbon control. I agree with him that much...
    Older and ...well, just older!!

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
    James Lovelock was on R4 this morning. He reckons within 100 years the population level will be reduced from 7 billion to 1 billion. Also, he says climate refugees will be coming to places such as the UK in huge numbers.

He reckons we need to start building the infrastructure to take these refugees now and that we need to invest in schools, roads and houses for them.
    I'm not sure that it will fall that sharply, (it would take something close to total collapse of all society) but fall it must. If the planet adjusts so that only 20-odd% of the current survivable land can support a population then it will have to happen.

Who says they will come to UK anyway?

Having listened to him, I don't think I can take him seriously, although he does mention over-population as more of an issue than carbon control. I agree with him that much...
    Me too.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Gaia theory is a load of un-scientific crudulence, and it is a very short step from Gaia believers to the AGW faithful.
      Bored.

Comment

So do I. I've been whingeing for decades that we are already suffering from overpopulation, but as long as it still seems tolerable nobody cares. It's like boiling a frog: do it by slowly increasing the temperature and the frog never quite notices that things have got so bad that it's time to jump.

Comment

Working...
        X