• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question about demolishing a house and rebuilding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about demolishing a house and rebuilding

If I were to buy a house on a large (multi-acre) plot, what are the chances of getting planning permission to demolish it and rebuild a modern house?

Is this a formality or likelyhood a no-way?

I'm not talking about a grade listed building in a conservation area.

Anyone any pointers in this direction.

Will the new building be similar shape and size? Will it be in keeping with the area?

Comment

The existing plot is rural, no nearby neighbours.

The new house will be much bigger and modern style (think Grand Designs)

Comment

Is it in a green belt area? The farmer down the road from me 20 years ago had quite a fight to put a small bungalow on his own land so that his son and family could have the main farmhouse to themselves. Even when he got permission to build, the planning department stipulated it couldn't be sold separately from the farm.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

You are required to give local authority 6 weeks notice of intent to demolish, naturally along with the notice you have to hand over a fee of £200 to allow them to 'process' your application

If you do not give notice then the usual liability under 1984 regs is a Level 4 punishment on the standard scale.... about £2500 (small change)

If you are a registered Pikey then of course normal planning laws are not applicable

much better to torch the place and present them with a fait accompli - just remember to get the gas & leccy disconnected first

HTH
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            If I were to buy a house on a large (multi-acre) plot, what are the chances of getting planning permission to demolish it and rebuild a modern house?

Describe the building that currently occupies the plot.

Replacing like with like is not usually a problem provided that the building you are demolishing has no special architectural or cultural value. If you are in a conservation area, other conditions may well apply.

If you fondly imagine getting permission to build a mini-estate, forget it.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              much better to torch the place and present them with a fait accompli - just remember to get the gas & leccy disconnected first
              HTH
              I knew a guy in Devon who had bought lots of places, knocked them down and built new place(s). He then bought an old, old place with preservation orders and the like, but was a bit of a dump in lots of land etc Within weeks there had been an accident and the place was burned to a crisp. (It had a thatch you see ) He then bulldozed the remains before anyone could get a look at it (How he got away with that I don't know) Also he just happened to be under-insured (but loaded)

He has now built a brand new character modern house there for him and his family in an idyllic location. Took a while to get the plans through, but he got there in the end.

Comment

Look up the planning rules for the area the house is in, it's usually on t'internet, search for the UDP ( Urban Development Plan ) that are usually in place for 10 years at a time. There should be a map showing you what is greenbelt. Alternatively ring thm up.

If it's rural and in the greenbelt the usual rule is you can rebuild but it must be similar in style and they'll only allow you to increase the cubic metres upto a pretty puny limit. Sometimes the house itself might be non greenbelt and then you can start planning your footballers mansion.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
                  If you fondly imagine getting permission to build a mini-estate, forget it.
                  Ah yes, someone once wanted to build 4 semis on a plot of land near me. My neighbours and I automatically objected, and got it knocked back.

None of us would have objected to a stone built bungalow, but the guy was too greedy and got nowt.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

I thought you were the resident board property expert, DimBeeny.

Comment

Working...
                    X