• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laptop Battery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Battery

Hi,

I have a relatively new laptop and was in discussions with a colleague regarding the laptop battery and its maintenance. He was of the opinion that you should periodically drain the battery to maintain optimum performance so, every 2 weeks or so he runs his laptop on battery until the battery warning is displayed at 10%.

I suggested that a battery has a finite number of discharge / charge cycles and so by doing this he is in fact reducing the life of his laptop battery.

I am not a techie as such so i ask the question, what is the best approach to maintaining / extending battery life?

Regards

Alan

The instructions for my Lenovo suggest running it below 15% regularly. (probably to get rid of the memory effect).

Comment

Originally posted by AlanR View Post
      I suggested that a battery has a finite number of discharge / charge cycles and so by doing this he is in fact reducing the life of his laptop battery.
      I've had a few laptops that spent 95% of their lives on mains and the battery stopped holding charge after 18 months - 2 years.

My (admittedly anecdotal) experience would suggest that running the battery right down on a regular basis does prolong it's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
        The instructions for my Lenovo suggest running it below 15% regularly. (probably to get rid of the memory effect).
        The power management on my IBM Thinkpad offer a choice of optimum readiness or optimum battery life: i.e.
        • readiness: it starts to charge as soon as the charge drops even a little (95% I think);
        • life: it waits until well discharged (15%??) before starting to charge up. Snag: if you unplug it then, you may not have much charge in the battery for unplugged use.

but I have heard Archangel's point too, and I have particularly been advised to do a couple of complete charge/discharge cycles at the start of the battery's life.

Doubtless somebody who actually knows will wake up in the course of the day and may offer facts.

Comment

Laptop batteries don't suffer from memory effect. Obselete ni-cad batteries had this problem.

How To take care your laptop battery?

Exercise the Battery. Do not leave a charged battery dormant for long periods of time. Once charged, you should at least use the battery at least once every two to three weeks. Also, do not let a Li-On battery completely discharge. (Discharing is only for older batteries with memory effects)

Leaving a battery in a laptop while using an electrical outlet for long periods of time will keep the battery in a constant state of charging up and that will reduce the life cycle of the laptop battery.

Comment

Working...
          X