• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disappearing work referees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing work referees

For those occasions when you actually do want to give out referees, do you find difficulty in doing so because they are no longer available? They move on, or the organisation ceases to exist.

My wife is applying to go back to college to do an MA and needs two academic referees from just a few years ago but she can't even find her lecturers any more.

In my case, from most recent going backwards, the referee I would use:
    1. is about to change jibs
    2. has left
    3. has left
    4. has retired
    5. has left
    6. the business folded
    7. the business ceased to exist
    8. the agency merged into another and the referee retired
    9. left and the business folded
    10. the organisation has ceased to exist and the referee left
    11. has retired
    12. the business has ceased to exist

I have felt for some time the whole "referee" thing has been made meaningless by the mobile workforce concept and the rapidity of business takeovers.

What is your view / experience?
    Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    For those occasions when you actually do want to give out referees, do you find difficulty in doing so because they are no longer available? They move on, or the organisation ceases to exist.

My wife is applying to go back to college to do an MA and needs two academic referees from just a few years ago but she can't even find her lecturers any more.

2. has left
    3. has left
    4. has retired
    5. has left
    6. the business folded
    11. has retired

I have felt for some time the whole "referee" thing has been made meaningless by the mobile workforce concept and the rapidity of business takeovers.

I agree. I understand that the only thing that HR will let anyone say in references these days is to confirm employment dates.

For the last permie job I had I was asked to supply references to cover the whole of the previous five years. I had only had two jobs in that time, but the first one was for a government quango that was being closed down. Luckily, there were still three people there on the skeleton staff when I needed to get the reference. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post

2. has left
      3. has left
      4. has retired
      5. has left
      6. the business folded
      11. has retired

You don't necessarily need the lecturer that knew you, you can just ask for college or university to provide one.

The purpose of a reference is simplly to vouch for your integrity, not as an evaluation of your ability.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        For the last permie job I had I was asked to supply references to cover the whole of the previous five years. I had only had two jobs in that time, but the first one was for a government quango that was being closed down. Luckily, there were still three people there on the skeleton staff when I needed to get the reference. I don't know what I would have done otherwise.
        I worked for MyCo Ltd for last five years as consultant. Signed Me.
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
          I worked for MyCo Ltd for last five years as consultant. *Signed Me.
          and by the way I am brilliant and deserve a super rate

Comment

If I go back for into permidom for referernces - most of mine are dead
            Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

The bloke down the pub who writes mine is still there.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

All of mine are still fine. What are you doing to your referees?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  The bloke down the pub who writes mine is still there.

Can you give me his number?
                  Just call me Matron - Too many handbags

Comment

Originally posted by zara_backdog View Post

Can you give me his number?
                    Just copy and paste into this one;

Mich the Tester has been in the employ of MyCo BV for 5 years now. During this time he has taken responsibility for the technical, commercial and financial strategy of MyCo BV and has produced exceptional results in all three areas. His commitment to quality and excellent customer service has allowed MyCo BV to grow substantially and achieve a yearly rise in profits, while gaining praise from MyCo BV’s customers for testing mission and life critical systems to a world class standard.

Yours faithfully

Mrs Tester
                    Secretary to the Board, MyCo BV, a member company of Mich the Tester Global Enterprises inc
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X