• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Security Clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Clearance

Hello

I had security clearance from working with the MOD about 7 years ago.
    How would I found out if I still was cleared?

Thank you.

In short I can say that you do "NOT" have it anymore. If you have not used it for 2 years you will (sorry the company who requires that you have it) will need to re-apply and pay the (expensive)fees.

Thats the reason why contractors who have it usually stay with SC cleared contracts, then its just a case of ClientCo 1 reuesting the transfer from ClientCo 2 without incurring fees.

Comment

7 yrs ago = you aint cleared now

Comment

here's a crazy thought, ring and ask them!

Comment

Originally posted by kemical View Post
          Hello

I had security clearance from working with the MOD about 7 years ago.
          How would I found out if I still was cleared?

Thank you.
          Clearance automatically lapses after 12 months if you're not in a role requiring clearance.

It's lapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            Clearance automatically lapses after 12 months if you're not in a role requiring clearance.

It's lapsed.
            Wow Thanks for your insight... By the way you are talking complete bollocks.
            I had a clearance back in 2001 it lasts till 2011 I left my company in 2004. I spoke to the security team a few weeks back and they informed me that the clearance is valid and although I cannot move it to a new place I can go back on site with them (and I am) ...

It's bad enough that agency staff don't know what they are doing without contractors spouting crap as well ...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              I had a clearance back in 2001 it lasts till 2011 I left my company in 2004. I spoke to the security team a few weeks back and they informed me that the clearance is valid and although I cannot move it to a new place I can go back on site with them (and I am) ...

It's bad enough that agency staff don't know what they are doing without contractors spouting crap as well ...
              Before you start throwing insults around, perhaps it is worth considering the fact that the OP didn't actually mention they were going back to their original place of work when they posed the question?
              Last edited by PM-Junkie; 25 February 2009, 23:38.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
                Before you start throwing insults around, perhaps it is worth considering the fact that you didn't actually mention that you were going back to your original place of work when you posed the question?
                I don't think BobSpud and the OP are the same blerk/bint/dog...

At the risk of causing another flame war,

for( ; ; ) WHS++;
                Last edited by Churchill; 25 February 2009, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

Ok I'll talk some more bollocks then, I can't find the guidance on the DVA website as it appears to have changed recently, but here's some from the PCG

Lapsed Clearance
                  The matter of lapsed clearance also presented major frustrations for those freelancers who had held highlevel
                  clearance, but had been working on a non-secure site for a while and whose clearance had therefore
                  lapsed. Government departments treat lapsed clearance as no clearance at all: as a result freelancers who
                  had held clearance and who might therefore be seen to present little risk still faced the same problems as
                  totally uncleared candidates.
                  There was, however, some ambiguity around this area in the initial guidance. The revised guidance is
                  much clearer:
                  Where a contractor has held a clearance in the past but has not worked continuously on jobs where the
                  clearance is required, the clearance may be considered current if the following conditions are met:
                  -
                  The contractor’s existing clearance is not more than three years old (non-List X) or five years old
                  (List X)

-
                  The contractor has worked on a job where the clearance was required in the past 12 months

- The contractor has not resided overseas for more than six months since their last cleared post.3
                  Pretty sure that was lifted from the DVA guidelines.

I'm pretty amazed that your old ClientCo Security Office has advised you that your Clearance is current, they're either mistaken, you're subject to some very odd special rules or you're the one talking out of an alternative (and lower) orifice.

I'll happily check the rules with the DVA directly as I need to speak to them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
                    here's a crazy thought, ring and ask them!

You know that's so crazy, it might just work......
                    Bored.

Comment

Working...
                    X