• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paying wife/grand-parent small wage (<5K)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying wife/grand-parent small wage (<5K)

My wife does not work, and is not registrered as my company (ltd) secretary, but i know of peolple that pay their wifes (not working) or even gradparent (not on means tested benifit) a small wage below 5k to reduce the overall companys corporate tax bill, although they dont actually receive it/get to keep it. Is this legal? what are the pitfalls/perks of this?

I would like to hear your views.

Paying family members

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I think that if you pay a family member, and they don't actually do any work for the company, you would probably have problems if you were investigated by the Inland Revenue.

I think that if you pay a family member either through a salary or dividends, it is important that they do some work for the company. This may be of an administrative nature (liaising with your accountant, general office duties, etc), or it may be actual billable work for your company, or a combination of both.

I think that what you have to remember is that anything you do to reduce the amount of tax you pay may be challenged by the IR. You simply have to weigh up the odds and decide whether something is worth trying or not.

<mod note>Link removed. Sorry, looks really useful but site terms state no advertising please.</mod note>

Comment

Originally posted by dark_stranger View Post
      My wife does not work, and is not registrered as my company (ltd) secretary, but i know of peolple that pay their wifes (not working) or even gradparent (not on means tested benifit) a small wage below 5k to reduce the overall companys corporate tax bill, although they dont actually receive it/get to keep it. Is this legal? what are the pitfalls/perks of this?

No it's not legal. Claiming to pay a wage to someone but not actually paying it, or then clawing it back from them, is tax evasion.

If that person is in receipt of means tested benefits such as income support or tax credits and they do not declare this "wage" then they too can be done for benefit fraud.

Not only that but if you are claiming to be paying a wage you also have to deal with employers NI, PAYE etc. Even if they are below the threshold the paper work still has to be done and failing to do so will also land you in trouble.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Ah, the old "phantom workers" scam.

Its as old as the hills and never was legal.

Comment

The people I know that pay family members, actually give them the money (instead of housekeeping for example) and they do some work for it, although it tends to be quite minor things.

I pay my elderly mother a small salary. The money is transferred to her each month. And she does work for it. She does all the shredding (of which there is a lot). She does the odd errand, is always there for the postman as I get a lot of registered post and of course the deliveries. If I have a meeting with a client she does the refreshments, and keeps me supplied with coffee and snacks when I'm working during the day. I have a office in the house she lives in, so the company pays a proportion of the bills. And the most important thing - she authorises my expense claims !

Comment

Originally posted by backrubber View Post
            I think that if you pay a family member either through a salary or dividends, it is important that they do some work for the company. This may be of an administrative nature (liaising with your accountant, general office duties, etc), or it may be actual billable work for your company, or a combination of both.
            I just want to point out that you can't pay family members dividends unless they are shareholders, and shareholders don't have to work for their dividends.
            "take me to your leader"

Comment

It it quite, quite acceptable if you are an MP to do this - Peter Hain Minister for Wales or Welsh secratary or some other useless nonjob - OK to get bunged 100K for nowt as well.

Up the revolution!

Comment

I do it. I pay my partner in cash. And she does errands for the company. Doesn't everyone do this?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  I do it. I pay my partner in cash. And she does errands for the company. Doesn't everyone do this?
                  No.

My wife is a higher rate taxpayer, so there would be no point.

Comment

Can I pay my dog a salary? He picks up the mail in the morning

Comment

Working...
                    X