• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rental Doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rental Doom

Who was it who said rents would rise as the housing slump took hold ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ettings-market

The For Sale and To Rent boards ( or both ) are starting to line up in my neck of the woods, particularly in the lower end BTL stuff.

It is going to be fun if ( when ! ) interest rates start to climb again

Yesterday 13:39 - http://forums.contractoruk.com/782524-post42.html

Guess who?

You were right!

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
      Some idiot who didn't think it through properly.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The For Sale and To Rent boards ( or both ) are starting to line up in my neck of the woods, particularly in the lower end BTL stuff.

The one-bedroom flat at Canary Wharf that we moved out of in December has been re-decorated and re-carpeted, the asking rent has been reduced 12%, and it is still vacant.

I am glad now that we rented it and didn't own it.

Rent may be dead money, but we were free to bugger off when we wanted to.

Comment

Our landlord is trying to charge us for clearing the drains a couple of weeks ago - seems to think that using toilet paper is "misuse". Far as i was conerned we don't live in Greece and don't have 2000 year old drains.

With this news I'm tempted to call his bluff - had a quick look around and there are cheaper properties in better areas.

Comment

Our rent is 1250 a month, when we signed that 2 years ago it was a pretty good deal considering the mortgage on out last gaff was about 1750, now I am getting shagged and have really seen rental prices drop over the last 3 months.

I'm just to lazy to move for the 300/400 quid a month we could save on a similar property.

Comment

I think I was lucky in finding a flat last November for below market rates in Camden, even with the glut of properties for rent rigth now, I couldnt find ANYTHING comparable for even 20% more a month than what I am paying.

That said, I am all for rents coming down as 2009 progresses, will be keen to upgrade come Nov 2009 and move into something flashier for the same money.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Yesterday 13:39 - http://forums.contractoruk.com/782524-post42.html

Guess who?

You were right!
                That post you link doesn't say rents would rise.

Anyway, it would be no different under the Tories...
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Whilst my rental income on my property hasn't increased with the downturn, my yield on my property has with the drop in interest rates, so what do I care if I have to drop £50 / £100 a month on a single property. My bum will start squeaking this time next year / the year after when interest rates are beginning to look like throwbacks to the 70's, but by then I'll be locking myself into fixed rates again.

As a previous poster stated, the only people hurting are those who followed the 'mortgage it to the hilt' school of thought.
                  "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Some idiot who didn't think it through properly.
                    whs

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X