• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website cost estimate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website cost estimate

I'm not much into website design so when a friend asked me this question I thought I would throw it over here for some educated views:-

My friend is looking to have a website built, just the usual few pages with some flash. He wants it to look professional and also to provide a user specific experience - by which simply he means that each user can sign up and have their own personal page show up (I'm guessing it will be like an order/inventory type of page).

I know it's a very open question - but approximately how much would this cost him to have built, and then to have it hosted?

Generall costs are:

£200 - £300 for design of site
    £300 - £400 per static page

Not sure on flash.

If you use an off the shelf CMS for login etc, then there is not much development needed. However there maybe some custom work for the inventory side of things. So quite difficult to give a ball park figure.

But for a simple site with a little bit of dynamic content, and some flash I reccon £2000 - £3000. Hosting would be £50 per year.

If you use rent-a-coder then you will get it for much cheepness and plenty quickness. Someone will probably quote £200 for the lot.
    Originally posted by cailin maith
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

I used to work for a web design company about 6 years ago. At that time, we would have charged about £8 -10K for this, and then got it developed offshore (we had own team offshore, not sub-contracting it).
      I think prices are lower now, but flash skills can still be charged at a permium.

It really depends on how much flash is required, exact requirements (i.e. what info is on the personal page?), and which company you use.

You can go offshore and get it done for less then £8K - but you really need to be careful about the company you choose and will have a higher degree of management.
      You could equally find smaller companies in the UK who would do it for that amount...
      Or you could even find companies who will quote you £40-50K (you can spot these ones because they will call a developer a
      "creative manager" and call "buttons" CTAs (call to action). They will usually send 3 people to a meeting where 1 is required, and then try and convince you that you need a team of 6 where a team of 2 will do.

Hosting is cheap these days..... you can get a really good package for about £200 a year.....even cheaper if you shop around. Just google it....

hope that helps...

Comment

Originally posted by FSM with Cheddar View Post
        Generall costs are:

£200 - £300 for design of site
        £300 - £400 per static page

Not sure on flash.

If you use an off the shelf CMS for login etc, then there is not much development needed. However there maybe some custom work for the inventory side of things. So quite difficult to give a ball park figure.

But for a simple site with a little bit of dynamic content, and some flash I reccon £2000 - £3000. Hosting would be £50 per year.

If you use rent-a-coder then you will get it for much cheepness and plenty quickness. Someone will probably quote £200 for the lot.

wow, prices really have fallen for web development since I was in that game!

Comment

Too open really. Does he want managed hosting, or can he look after the server(s) himself?

Will he be responsible for the maintenance? Is he qualified to do this or will he need a content management system?

Template-based sites can be delivered, all-in, for a low-high quality range of ~£300 to ~£3000. Expect non-managed hosting to come in around the £70 mark including domain.

I have a mate who runs a successful small business this way. PM me for details (London-based).

Comment

I also have experience of a friend who can do this and do thsi very well, I speak from experience having been a user of one of his creations in a commercial environment. (Cambridgeshire Based) Not that is really matters in this day and age where web developers are based.

PM me for details if you like. Can never hurt to have a couple of quotes/estimates.

Pleomax
            Pleomax

This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious as to just how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it. It looks so ordinary and plain that you would think nothing was wrong with it. In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is highly unusual though. Study it and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out. Try to do so without any coaching!

Comment

AAAAAARRRRRRGH FLASH!!!! I seem to recall reading somewhere how the majority of surfers click away from a flash site, even before its loaded, preferring instead XHTML/DHTML/CSS.

If its a media/music site there may be an argument for flash but for ecommerce, if that's what your friend's site is, then I'd stick with web standards.

Comment

Depends if it's a Flash site, or a site with some Flash embedded. Big difference.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by sal626 View Post
                  wow, prices really have fallen for web development since I was in that game!
                  I'm talking for a one man band. Obviously if you go to a web design company they are going to charge £10K +

If I was quoting for a small local business for this kind of work, then I would go for around the £3K mark. Although I have no idea on the Flash bit, so that would be extra.
                  Originally posted by cailin maith
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
                    AAAAAARRRRRRGH FLASH!!!! I seem to recall reading somewhere how the majority of surfers click away from a flash site, even before its loaded
                    I certainly do, first whiff of a flash site and its <-- Back for me. Detest them.

Comment

Working...
                    X