• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT scheme

Hello,

I was reading at SDJ website about Flat rate VAT schema.

How does that work for us as contractors with own Ltd?

Can we charge our client a 15% VAT and keep the difference between flat rate VAT and the standard 15% for ourselves? Or is this only possible for good supplies?

If the answer is yes, then how would we invoice the client? Let say the rate they offer is £300. Would I then invoice them £255 + 15% VAT = £300? Since I dont think the client would accept a £300 + 15% VAT.

Thanks,

Oh dear.

I'll let someone else take this.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by houmie View Post
      Since I dont think the client would accept a £300 + 15% VAT.

Thanks,
      That’s exactly what you do.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Since I dont think the client would accept a £300 + 15% VAT.

Thanks,
        Why ever not?
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I think the clue is in the name.

Value Added Tax.

HTH
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Your ltd co adds VAT at the prevailing rate to its invocies. Then, assuming you are in your 1st year, you repay HMRC 10.5% of the total If beyond year 1, its 11.5%

Eg.

£300 p/d. 20 days per month = £6000.
            VAT @ 15% = £900
            Invoice total = £6900

Your ltdco then owes 10.5% of £6900 to HMRC = £724.50. the rest is retained profit.

"Keep them at 24,000"
            "No, feet"

Comment

Hello,

I was reading at SDJ website about Flat rate VAT schema.

How does that work for us as contractors with own Ltd?

Can we charge our client a 15% VAT and keep the difference between flat rate VAT and the standard 15% for ourselves? Or is this only possible for good supplies?

If the answer is yes, then how would we invoice the client? Let say the rate they offer is £300. Would I then invoice them £255 + 15% VAT = £300? Since I dont think the client would accept a £300 + 15% VAT.

Thanks,

Generally speaking contractor rates are exclusive of VAT. Clients dont care are they recover the VAT anyway.

Once you are registered for the FRS scheme you charge the normal rate of VAT on your invoices - £300 + VAT at 15% and pay HMRC VAT at the rate you registered for on the whole amount.

e.g.

Invoice for £300 + VAT @15% = £345

Registered for FRS at 11%

You pay HMRC 11% of £345 = £37.95

£45 - £37.95 = £7.05 retained by your company.

In return for this you cannot claim VAT back on normal business outgoings or capital expenditure below £2000.

You also have to pay CT on the retained VAT at 21% at Co. year end as part of your normal profits.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The client claims the VAT back so they don't care is the rate is 15% or 90%

Comment

Oh dear

Comment

Yes

How would we invoice the client?

You invoice the client exactly as you dow now e.g. £300+VAT=£345

If you are in the 11% Category of the FRS, you pay HMRC
                    345*0.11 = £37.95

Your company keeps the difference, needs to pay Corp. Tax on it.

Any interest your company makes from the company bank account is also subjected to Flat Rate VAT.

Comment

Working...
                    X