• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ryanair considers charging passengers to use lavatories

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/48...avatories.html

Ryanair passengers could be charged £1 to use the onboard lavatories, chief executive Michael O'Leary said yesterday.

Mr O'Leary, famous for his uncompromising approach to cost-cutting, said he was considering attaching coin slots to the doors, similar to those used in train stations.

He said: "One thing we have looked at in the past and are looking at again is the possibility of maybe putting a coin slot on the toilet door so that people might actually have to spend a pound to spend a penny in future.

"We are always, at Ryanair, looking at ways of constantly lowering the cost of air travel and making it affordable and easier for all passengers to fly with us."

Asked if charging for such a basic need might inconvenience passengers travelling without cash, Mr O'Leary replied: "I don't think there is anybody in history that has got on board a Ryanair aircraft with less than a pound.

"What do you do at Liverpool Street station at the moment you need to spend a penny? I think you have to spend 20p to go to the toilets at Liverpool Street station," he said on BBC Breakfast.

Later, Ryanair spokesman Stephen McNamara said: "Michael makes a lot of this stuff up as he goes along and, while this has been discussed internally, there are no immediate plans to introduce it.

"However, this highlights Ryanair's continuing obsession with lowering costs and passing these savings on in the form of lower fares.

"Ancillary revenues, all of which are avoidable, help to reduce the cost of flying Ryanair and passengers using train and bus stations are already accustomed to paying to use the toilet so why not on airplanes?

"Not everyone uses the toilet on board one of our flights but those that do could help to reduce airfares for all passengers."

A spokesman for the Civil Aviation Authority, which is responsible for regulating UK air travel, said there was nothing in law to stop Ryanair charging passengers to use its lavatories.

The spokesman said: "There's no legal requirement to have a lavatory on an aircraft. Small aircraft don't have them."

He added: "It's a decision for Mr O'Leary about whether to charge for the lavatories."

But the spokesman pointed out that "we have never, ever heard of any airline charging to use the lavatories before".

Mr O'Leary, who has expanded Ryanair by offering low headline fares and charging extra for items such as additional luggage, added: "We're all about finding ways of raising discretionary revenue so we can keep lowering the cost of air travel."

Last week, Mr O'Leary told The Daily Telegraph that he wanted Ryanair to remove all check-in desks by the end of the year in a further bid to cut costs.

Rochelle Turner, head of research at Which? Holiday, said: "It seems Ryanair is prepared to plumb any depth to make a fast buck and, once again, is putting profit before the comfort of its customers"

"Charging people to go to the toilet might result in fewer people buying overpriced drinks on board, though - that would serve Ryanair right."

========================================

"Charging people to go to the toilet might result in fewer people buying overpriced drinks on board, though - that would serve Ryanair right."

- 'mornin BP

I hope their seats are waterproof, otherwise they'll be forking out for a lot of upholstery cleaner!
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

So now it cost £1 to spend a penny.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
        - 'mornin BP

I hope their seats are waterproof, otherwise they'll be forking out for a lot of upholstery cleaner!
        I was thinking the same : how many will try to hold it in?

Plus how many will have no pound coin : will they have change machines? Both for £5 = 5*£1 and £1 = 5*20p?

Comment

Those little vomit bags are waterproof.

Comment

Surely he's taking the plss...

£1 please

Comment

It's not a big deal - nearly everyone now charges. Go to the mainline stations now and its 30p! and they are used by hundres per hour. I doubt man will use it onboard anyway - and I am sure they worked on figures. As most flights are short I am sure theyll hardly make much

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                I doubt man will use it onboard anyway - and I am sure they worked on figures. As most flights are short I am sure theyll hardly make much
                I suspect that what they really want is cut back the usage so that they can cut back on the cleaning effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                  I suspect that what they really want is cut back the usage so that they can cut back on the cleaning effort.
                  Possibly - they will be a backlash soon though as there customer service is bad imho - but in times of cost saving people will tolerate it - but soon the tide will turn. The stuff they say is crazy. Did you read about the Blogger incident? and the official response from them? Crazy - im sure it was Ryanair

Comment

Originally posted by Liability View Post
                    Possibly - they will be a backlash soon though as there customer service is bad imho - but in times of cost saving people will tolerate it - but soon the tide will turn.
                    It is easy for well-paid people to decide that they would rather pay more for a better service (and I for one would not put myself on a budget airline again), but there is still a large section of the population for whom price is the only consideration.

Comment

Working...
                    X