• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT registration query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT registration query

Good evening

I am coming to the end of my first year of contracting which has been with the same client.

When I started, due to the rate I was on, I expected my turnover to be just below the VAT threshold of £67,000.

However, during the contract, I agreed to participate in an on call schedule which, upon review of my accounts, has resulted in my turnover comfortably exceeding the VAT threshold.

I plan to discuss this with my accountant next week but wondered if anyone here knows if I now have to register for VAT retrospectively or if I have to taken some other form of action.

TIA.

Get yourself registered ASAP. If you should have registered based on the HMRC criteria (turnover levels) and didn't they will start charging you.

You won't need to backdate your registration from day 1 and redo invoicing but you may have to from the date you should have first registered.

On the plus side there will now be some VAT to reclaim on purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by frank size View Post

On the plus side there will now be some VAT to reclaim on purchases.
      The register for Flat RATE VAT!

Comment

Originally posted by frank size View Post
        Get yourself registered ASAP. If you should have registered based on the HMRC criteria (turnover levels) and didn't they will start charging you.

You won't need to backdate your registration from day 1 and redo invoicing but you may have to from the date you should have first registered.
        I've just been looking at my accounts and have found I am in the exact same situation. I've found that in October last year my turnover for the previous 12 months (Oct 07 to Oct 08) tripped the £67K barrier. Does this mean that if I register now I'll have to pay VAT on all earnings after October last year?

That'll be around £6.5K!

Surely this is a case of double-taxation, because the two agencies I have worked through will have paid that VAT (that they didn't have to pay me as I was not registered) to HMRC already.

What should I do now? Is it possible to register for VAT now, back-date the registration start date to October 2008, and invoice my two agents for the VAT?
        (I can't see them being too happy about this, from the hassle factor alone).

Jeez!

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          I've just been looking at my accounts and have found I am in the exact same situation. I've found that in October last year my turnover for the previous 12 months (Oct 07 to Oct 08) tripped the £67K barrier. Does this mean that if I register now I'll have to pay VAT on all earnings after October last year?

That'll be around £6.5K!

Surely this is a case of double-taxation, because the two agencies I have worked through will have paid that VAT (that they didn't have to pay me as I was not registered) to HMRC already.

What should I do now? Is it possible to register for VAT now, back-date the registration start date to October 2008, and invoice my two agents for the VAT?
          (I can't see them being too happy about this, from the hassle factor alone).

Jeez!
          Speak to your accountant. Its not double taxation.

Comment

I'm a little below the threshold on my turnover, however my accountant advised to go for the Flat Rate Scheme anyway, which effectively gives you an extra 4% dispoable income
            'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
            X