• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the IRA dumb ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the IRA dumb ?

why did they disarm ?
    here is the answer from the british government :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/4314802.stm

I find it curious, how can you seize assets as proceeds from crime without accusing and finding guilty in a criminal court the person of at least being involved in crime?
    Newpapers and libel court is hardly a criminal court

Comment

I think they made law in such a way that you have to prove that the assets are owned legitimately, as otherwise they are proceeds of crime or something like this -- make prosecutors job easier.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        I think they made law in such a way that you have to prove that the assets are owned legitimately, as otherwise they are proceeds of crime or something like this -- make prosecutors job easier.
        The lad from the steppes is correct. Yet another piece of civil rights legislation from New Labour.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          So basiclly assumed guilty unless proven innocent?

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
            I think that's pretty much it (is not that's the way IR deals with people?) -- they apply it to a very small number of knowingly guilty individuals which is why the public don't give a crap about it. NL solution for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
              Yup, just like tax law. If you can't demonstrate how you legitimately came to own that country pile and bullet proof Mercedes when you've apparently never had a job, it is assumed to be "proceeds of crime" and confiscated. No proof required. As Alexei says, a typically elegant New Labour solution brough in on David Blunkett's watch. The Daily Mail readers loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                The lad from the steppes is correct. Yet another piece of civil rights legislation from New Labour.
                How can it be civil right legislation. As fair as I'm concerned i'd rather thay ceased the assets of known terrorists, rather than take them through a length and costly court case. For far too long criminals have been taking the p1ss
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                  How can it be civil right legislation.
                  That was irony, Bagpuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
                    As fair as I'm concerned i'd rather thay ceased the assets of known terrorists, rather than take them through a length and costly court case.
                    Yes but they did it for STARTERS -- intentionally made legislation that spits over core values of the justice system like presumed innocent until proven guilty, this is done at first on people who seems to be known criminals, but as soon as this approach is used on them it will be extended to others -- no so obvious, but hey politicians know how to define in law who is obviously criminal and who is not without need for sodding proof.

If you look at what subsequent NL (and probably other parties to be fair) Home Secretaries do is try to exploit Parliamentary majority to write laws that will make their own job easier -- remove trials by jury, lower burden of proof for CPS, ignore presumed innocent principle in some cases etc.

This is all a very slippery slope that does not make police and CPS work better on gaining evidence and instead just allows them to cheat their way in the process, but of course this is only done for known criminals and terrorists, so good citizens have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                    X