• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher and the Grammar schools

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thatcher and the Grammar schools

Was watching a documentary on Thatcher the other night. Never realised as Education minister in Ted Heath's government, she closed more grammar schools, and approved more Comprehensive status schools than Shirley Williams ever did. Shocking!
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Well, you wouldn't want the working classes rising above their station now would you....
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
      Well, you wouldn't want the working classes rising above their station now would you....
      There aren't many working class people going to grammer schools round my neck of the woods!
      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
        There aren't many working class people going to grammer schools round my neck of the woods!
        No because Maggie shut them all and then stole the milk
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          Was watching a documentary on Thatcher the other night. Never realised as Education minister in Ted Heath's government, she closed more grammar schools, and approved more Comprehensive status schools than Shirley Williams ever did. Shocking!
          And stopped the milk.

My old headmaster took great pride in his Maggie T story. When she was Prime Minister, her staff contacted the school to say it was to be honoured by a visit from her. He wrote back to say she would find the gates locked and barred; she would not be welcome. So she never went.

What a guy. Utterly mental, though.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

No because Maggie shut them all and then stole the milk
            I sometimes wonder how my life would have turned out if it wasn't for her policies....utterly sh*te I'd imagine.

For all the lives she destroyed, she really benefitted my family.

Strange how things turn out.
            The pope is a tard.

Comment

If you were able to go to grammar school would it have turned out better?
              IIRC from school I could have gone if my parents pushed it, there was one over-subscribed school left and I passed the exam, but wanted to go where my mates went (ex grammar). The only difference in my life, would probably have been better spelling and grammar. So in summary sweet FA.

Comment

If you were able to go to grammar school would it have turned out better?
                No - nothing to do with Grammer Schools....other policies....more to do with buying your own council house. That changed my family's life completely.

Where I was brought up...jesus it was horrendous.
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

I didn't agree with the council house policy. They were/are houses subsidised by the taxpayer. Why should they be offered at a significantly below market price to the individuals already paying a subsidised rent? Examples such as those where some have lucked into being given London flats worth 350k for a pittance spring to mind.

Then there are the issues with removal of subsidised housing from the needy.

Comment

I didn't agree with the council house policy. They were/are houses subsidised by the taxpayer. Why should they be offered at a significantly below market price to the individuals already paying a subsidised rent? Examples such as those where some have lucked into being given London flats worth 350k for a pittance spring to mind.

Then there are the issues with removal of subsidised housing from the needy.
                    You "didn't agree with it"? How old are you like? Surely you weren't old enough to have an informed decision on that policy back in the day?

Regardless of the pro's and con's....my family was transformed. We lived 2 doors down from a family where the eldest son was a known torturer. I'd say my Dad was the only bloke in the street who worked. 3 people in our little area were murdered when I was growing up - there were a lot of shotguns around. Most of the son's were regulars with the police by age 16, and most of the daughters up the duff by 16.

My folks got us out of there when I was 10 and my brothers were 13 and 16. Now they have 3 kids who all own their own businesses.

I live in a place that was destroyed by Maggie though (Sunderland)...it's difficult having such opposing opinions of the same person.
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X