• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance on roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance on roles

I know this has been talked about before, but can agencies insist that candidates have to have SC clearance to be considered for a role?

Just been on the phone for a role and they've said that because it's urgent and SC takes 3 months to process they can't consider me.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I know this has been talked about before, but can agencies insist that candidates have to have SC clearance to be considered for a role?

Just been on the phone for a role and they've said that because it's urgent and SC takes 3 months to process they can't consider me.
    Just say you've got one...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I can't be arsed digging out the 'rules' but if the role actually is urgent - and most are, of course - they can just go with those with clearance.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

According to the DVA rules, they can't do it. It may be worth reporting it to the DVA, not that they will do anything about it.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          According to the DVA rules, they can't do it. It may be worth reporting it to the DVA, not that they will do anything about it.
          It's not DVA rules. It's OGC guidance on their policy. Linky. It's not the law and there is no real means of appealing.

I have previously tried complaining to REC (about two years ago) about a REC member doing this. They were not interested.
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

The urgancy of the role is irrelavent, the duration is. If the role is likely to be completed in less time than it takes to obtain clearance then they can insist on only looking at cleared candidates. For anything else they should be considering all applicants with appropriate skills reagrdless of SC status. There are a number of things that can be done to manage the situation while clearance is processed and these should be taken into account.

In practice this doesnt happen as these are guidelines only and not leagally binding.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

catch 22 isnt it. In the same situation myself. Cant get role because of no clearance, so stuck on the bench. Though some roles look like phishers just doing they're bit for they in front of their bosses as they are about to get the boot.

Comment

As a last resort during my job hunting today I put in 'Information AND analyst' on jobserve.. (one of my previous roles a long time ago)..

Surprise surprise (check this for yourself on a UK wide search), 95% of the roles were NHS all with 'NHS experience required or do not apply'...

Two words which utterly f**k me off in the job market.. NHS and SC.

Comment

As a last resort during my job hunting today I put in 'Information AND analyst' on jobserve.. (one of my previous roles a long time ago)..

Surprise surprise (check this for yourself on a UK wide search), 95% of the roles were NHS all with 'NHS experience required or do not apply'...

Two words which utterly f**k me off in the job market.. NHS and SC.
                  Chris are you still looking for work? I only ask cause I remember I was complaining about the very same thing before. Something seriously *needs* to be done about the NHS, I mean, in a recession etc etc, it seems utterly ridiculous to me that they have so many roles going and basically have shut their doors to the market save ex NHS people, which I am sure don't make up the bulk of people on the bench.

Comment

Yep I am, although to be fair I did manage to wrangle an interview on a project with them 2 months ago but it went to someone else.

If they were to open their doors to the outside world there would be nobody on the bench, then again as recently discussed on another thread in the business/contract section it would appear that despite the fact it's IT work, this is irrelevant and anyone who has worked in a hospital is given the job for £+350 a day over the 'market rate'.

Comment

Working...
                    X