• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Late afternoon doom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late afternoon doom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7919647.stm

Mosaic, which owns some of the most famous brands on the UK High Street, has gone into administration, with debts of around £400m.

But most of group, including Oasis, Karen Millen, Warehouse and Coast have been immediately sold to Mosaic's main creditor - Icelandic bank Kaupthing.

A new firm owned by Kaupthing and former Mosaic bosses has been formed.

But Principles and The Shoe Studio - two of Mosaic's other brands remain in administration, risking 4,000 jobs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7918168.stm

Stock markets have fallen worldwide, rattled by fears that turmoil in the financial sector is far from over.

On Wall Street, the US Dow Jones index fell below 7,000 points for the first time since October 1997.

In the UK, the FTSE 100 index briefly hit a six-year low. Markets elsewhere in Europe also fell sharply.

Confidence was hit by a fresh $30bn bail-out of US insurance giant AIG following a record $62bn loss, and by HSBC's plans to raise £12.5bn.

FTSE down 5.33% in a day.

Can't be long now before the UK does an Iceland.

17 days to go ...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Forgot the pound....

down nearly 2% against the Euro, which is itself in deep sh*t.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
        17 days to go ...
        Nah, more like 28 Days Later ...
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Groundhog Day

Comment

coooome on pound ...u can do worse than that ...I want you back down to Euro parity my little precious.

Comment

Originally posted by Olly View Post
              coooome on pound ...u can do worse than that ...I want you back down to Euro parity my little precious.
              The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I thought Kaupthing was bankrupt, how can it buy anything?

Comment

It swaps equity for what they owe it....

No chance my missus can pick up a cheap Karen Millen frock for once I suppose?
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
                  X