• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What do you do....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you do....

when you're working with other contractors and it becomes obvious that they are not as experienced as you are and ask you for lots of help and guidance?

I like to think I'm a decent person and I answer all questions and even explain the same thing several times until they understand it. BUT at the back of my mind I'm thinking, Its only a short contract and if Clientco want to extend anyone’s contract I'd like it to be me and am I giving them an advantage by helping them, so they don’t have to ask any of the permies.

To be honest I feel really bad that I'm starting to resent their questions!
    Its been a long day - maybe I'm just tired
    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Isn't helping them the best way to get a more visible reputation as someone who knows their stuff and can add value to the company?

Try to bring it up in passing during meetings with the important people...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sorry, can you explain that to me again?

Comment

You must have been in their shoes once, and no doubt asked just as many questions surely ?

I'd be flattered that they seek your advice, and by helping them, you foster goodwill and cooperation.

Who knows, perhaps they'll be in a position to help you at some point, not necessarily at this company, but another further along the way.

I sleep better at nights knowing that I've helped others along the way, rather than hindered them.
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Karma, innit?

Must be a reason why I'm on the bench...
          Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Pogle, I don't think it hurts to be helpful (and I'm not a Christian). Maybe I'm too soft, until recently it wouldn't have occurred to me that helping someone could be detrimental to my own work situation. But, If you are doing his/her work because they aren't really up to the job maybe it's time to push back. I wouldn't mention it to the manager however, that's not my place.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Thanks folks for putting it into perspective
              - I was just really suprised at some of the basic stuff I was being asked about, but I shall continue to be my usual helpful self
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I usually help as much as I can. I believe that even after I've taught them all that they know, I still won't have taught them all that I know. Admittedly, as years go by I'm less and less confident that the boss will always recognise that.

What does get my goat is contractors who got in to a job that they just can't do, and then depend on others to do it for them. I have never done that, and I resent doing it for others. That's not what contracting is supposed to be.

Comment

Let the "team" know your hourly rate and invoice them at the end of the month!
                  'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
                    Thanks folks for putting it into perspective
                    - I was just really suprised at some of the basic stuff I was being asked about, but I shall continue to be my usual helpful self
                    Watch your back Pogle. These noobies will feel threatened by you. They will be nice to you while they need something from you. As soon as they get an opportunity to knife you in the back they will.

I have worked on many gigs with people that are under skilled/talented and it never ends well. As a rule I only respond to questions and never volunteer stuff. I explain something once, maybe even twice and that's it. I give opinions and then sit back.

I have been very badly knifed in the back in the past, and its always the nice smily nodding ones that do it.

You are a day rate, nothing more. Protect yourself first.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X