• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations for tip-top quality keyboard

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommendations for tip-top quality keyboard

I've noticed that a couple of keys are jamming on my keyboard when I hit them obliquely, for example the left-control button with my little finger.

Unfortunately most carp el cheapo clackety keyboards with loose keys suffer this problem acutely even when new, for example with the space bar, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a more expensive one with smooth keys.

It probably isn't possible to spend more than £50 or so, if that, to get the best available. So there's no point in skimping if one uses it a lot.

I'd prefer a proper keyboard, rather than a flat plastic thing! Also I'm not interested in paying over the odds for gimmicks like wireless keyboards or weird shaped ones or those with back-lit keys etc etc, just top quality key "mechanics" for want of a better word.

I've tried several searches, but most sites only sell £10 rubbish.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Microsoft keyboards usually pretty expensive... and good quality.
    "take me to your leader"

Comment

If you can find one, nothing beats the old IBM PS/2 keyboards, the real proper ones. Weighed a fair bit, but built to last a lifetime and an absolute joy to type on. I used to have one in my first job and I treasured it with my life, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

They pop up on ebay from time to time. In fact, you've put me in the mood to dig one up....

EDIT: None on ebay, but this is what I'm on about

http://www.recycledgoods.com/item/7937.aspx
      Last edited by TCL; 2 March 2009, 21:21.

"Keep them at 24,000"
      "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by TCL View Post
        If you can find one, nothing beats the old IBM PS/2 keyboards, the real proper ones. Weighed a fair bit, but built to last a lifetime and an absolute joy to type on. I used to have one in my first job and I treasured it with my life, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

They pop up on ebay from time to time. In fact, you've put me in the mood to dig one up....

EDIT: None on ebay, but this is what I'm on about

http://www.recycledgoods.com/item/7937.aspx
        Still loads of them at Ford Key-travel too long for me.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
          Microsoft keyboards usually pretty expensive... and good quality.
          WHS
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Another vote for MS. I have a curved one - not the fully split Natural keyboard, just a gentle curve. Very nice.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

ok so IBM do the best long travel - I've got one - weighs a ton - is mostly metal. Who'll do me a swap for a good short travel keyboard like a laptop.

I use a laptop so much that switching to long travel keys spaced a bit further about messes me up.

Anyone recommend a nice laptop feel keyboard please?

Comment

The MS Natural keyboards are a PITA IMO. Just can't get used to them when most of my life is spent using a regular QWERTY keyboard.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

To be honest another option is to pop into Staples - they always have about 20 keyboards laying out for you to try.

Originally posted by Olly View Post
                  Anyone recommend a nice laptop feel keyboard please?
                  Maplin do a few, but I haven't tried them.

If anyone can find a small wireless keyboard with built-in trackball let me know.
                  "take me to your leader"

Comment

i believe it is generally accepted by most professionals that this is the worlds best keyboard currently on the market

HTH

Chef
                    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Working...
                    X