• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online transactions - how secure are they?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online transactions - how secure are they?

I've been burned online twice now in the last month;

First time was registering to enter a marathon; filled in my personal details, put my credit card information in, clicked submit and it vanished into the ether - 501 error IIRC. Next month, I find they've billed me 50 quid. Rang up organizers of event & they said they'd never heard of me - they took my money but I was never actually registered for the event.

Second time was buying an airline ticket. Went to the Iberia website, bought the ticket & it all proceeded as expected. Then I get my bank statement and I see I've been billed twice - they took 163 euros the day I bought the ticket online and took 163 again 3 days later.

It appears that we are increasingly at the mercy of poorly written web applications. Anyone else been stung?
    Last edited by wurzel; 3 March 2009, 12:51. Reason: crap title got no responses!

Only once, slightly, for a rather crap registry cleaner. Decided not to bother and pressed cancel and it still went through. I did get the crap registry cleaner though.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It's all because companies think that there's no discernible difference between a £15ph web developer and a £40ph web developer!

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        I've been burned online twice now in the last month;

First time was registering to enter a marathon; filled in my personal details, put my credit card information in, clicked submit and it vanished into the ether - 501 error IIRC. Next month, I find they've billed me 50 quid. Rang up organizers of event & they said they'd never heard of me - they took my money but I was never actually registered for the event.

Second time was buying an airline ticket. Went to the Iberia website, bought the ticket & it all proceeded as expected. Then I get my bank statement and I see I've been billed twice - they took 163 euros the day I bought the ticket online and took 163 again 3 days later.

It appears that we are increasingly at the mercy of poorly written web applications. Anyone else been stung?
        Well, if you insist on doing business via www.dodgywurzel.com, then expect to be burnt. . So far I haven't been burnt with any online transactions yet. Have only ever bought things from sites that I have some trust in.
        If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
        X