• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is the doom just beginning?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the doom just beginning?

It seems to me that news of economic doom is picking up pace rapidly now and the effects beginning to show in the real economy. No Jobserve jobs, house and stock prices crashing etc. Or are we just getting a lot of bad economic news currently and can expect this to peak and we see green shoots of recovery to begin appear later this year or next?

Or are we all doomed and even after the major doom has peaked, are we all doomed long-term too?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    It seems to me that news of economic doom is picking up pace rapidly now and the effects beginning to show in the real economy. No Jobserve jobs, house and stock prices crashing etc. Or are we just getting a lot of bad economic news currently and can expect this to peak and we see green shoots of recovery to begin appear later this year or next?

Or are we all doomed and even after the major doom has peaked, are we all doomed long-term too?
    The doom and gloom that was reported during Nov and Dec is just starting to filter through - that is what we are seeing now.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

16 days to go.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing this morning.

We've all known about the global doom level for months, and the stock markets priced it in with the FTSE wobbling around 4100, which seemed reasonable.

Now they're all *really* spooked, and the markets are falling like an anvil down a well. Are we super fsk*ed or are we to trust (once more) the words of bankers?
        Cats are evil.

Comment

Where is the poll?

IMO we are now seeing the lagging indicators coming through. There will be bad news through 2009 and quite alot of 2010. I feel like hibernating....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            Where is the poll?
            That, IMO, should be the defining catchphrase of CUK.

Comment

My guess is the worst is yet to come. I'd expect next year to be the worst of it. Just remember how many families are:

A/ reliant on 'good times' service sector jobs
              B/ seriously in debt, funding a lifestyle beyond their means

There is going to be a snowball effect.

Stay in contract and keep your head down
              The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post

Stay in contract and keep your head down
                Possibly the most sensible post of all time on CUK.

Comment

Here in NL, the first quarter of this year is turning out to be dreadful, with the big companies announcing mass redundancies. The second quarter will be worse, as the smaller businesses who’ve tried hard to keep their people on board by tapping their reserves and working hard to win customers, are now starting to give in and dump people due to contracts at the big companies drying up and the lack of credit available for well-run companies and responsible consumers. Q2 could be catastrophic on the economic front. The far right are riding high in the polls and the government are flapping about doing nothing very important, except for subsidizing banks for even more money than they’re worth and getting no shares or influence in return.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Here in NL, the first quarter of this year is turning out to be dreadful, with the big companies announcing mass redundancies. The second quarter will be worse, as the smaller businesses who’ve tried hard to keep their people on board by tapping their reserves and working hard to win customers, are now starting to give in and dump people due to contracts at the big companies drying up and the lack of credit available for well-run companies and responsible consumers. Q2 could be catastrophic on the economic front. The far right are riding high in the polls and the government are flapping about doing nothing very important, except for subsidizing banks for even more money than they’re worth and getting no shares or influence in return.

the UK
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X