• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Umbrella: Green Lantern 35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Umbrella: Green Lantern 35

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything .... good or bad about this new umbrella company? I'm thinking of signing up with them since they have very generous expense allowances.

Regards

Raoul Strachan

Here we go again. Read my lips...

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE HELL THEIR EXPENSE ALLOWANCE IS, IF YOU DON'T SPEND IT YOU CAN'T CLAIM IT.

Ignore the sales puff and use your brain. The only bit that matters is their fees, everything else is the same for everyone unless you go offshore, interest free loan or EBT, all of which are going to be (or have been) severely curtailed.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      Here we go again. Read my lips...

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE HELL THEIR EXPENSE ALLOWANCE IS, IF YOU DON'T SPEND IT YOU CAN'T CLAIM IT.

Ignore the sales puff and use your brain. The only bit that matters is their fees, everything else is the same for everyone unless you go offshore, interest free loan or EBT, all of which are going to be (or have been) severely curtailed.
      Absolutely correct...

All the umbrellas will allow you to expense the same amount i.e. exactly what you have spent, they just differ at the amount at which they need to see proof. The HMRC don't they can ask for proof even if its for 10pence if you've claimed it.

Sit down and think....

The 'allowable' expenses level seems to be going up, not by any chance a cycnical ploy to goad unwitting contractors into utilising these 'allowances' so that when they come after you they've got something to hang you with.

The allowable bit relates to the umbrella it means HMRC allows them to pay you without seeing the receipts (therefore removing them from the burden of proof) this doesn't mean its allowable to you - you still need to be able to prove it.

They ought to rename allowable expenses to 'only-a-stupid-fool-would-claim-these-without-receipts' expenses

Comment

Working...
      X