• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hello from a Newbie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a Newbie

Well I've been a bit of a lurker over the last few weeks ( since I found the site ) and have found a lot of the threads very helpfull in securing my first contract, which is out in the Netherlands ( Mobile and fixed line Telecomms Core Network Engineering etc )

I know Dutch tax rules are different to UK rules, and the 30% allowance doesn't seem to bad in terms of deductions, but can anyone advise on what I can claim in expances as I'll be meeting with a local accountant when I'm out there on Monday.

Cheers in advance and I look forward to joining in with the discussions.

J
    Trainee Techno Pikey

Originally posted by KpMrJ

I know Dutch tax rules are different to UK rules, and the 30% allowance doesn't seem to bad in terms of deductions, but can anyone advise on what I can claim in expances as I'll be meeting with a local accountant when I'm out there on Monday.
    Cheers in advance and I look forward to joining in with the discussions.

J
    They seemed a little stingy for expenses at my dutch accountants. I could claim rent, books, computers, courses, car/train/transport and the most obvious and important one: the bike, which deserved a specific section. :-)
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

We'ren't you 'on the batter' in Holland Franco?

Comment

Originally posted by KpMrJ
        have found a lot of the threads very helpfull in securing my first contract.
        Moderators, MODERATORS!! troll alert!!

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
          They seemed a little stingy for expenses at my dutch accountants. I could claim rent, books, computers, courses, car/train/transport and the most obvious and important one: the bike, which deserved a specific section. :-)
          When I contracted in NL I also claimed for business expenses such as purchases of soft drugs and deep tissue massage therapy where you will find in the Red Windows2000 district ,no shortage of skilled hands in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
            When I contracted in NL I also claimed for business expenses such as purchases of soft drugs and deep tissue massage therapy where you will find in the Red Windows2000 district ,no shortage of skilled hands in this respect.
            Meet me in the toilets at Paddington Station and I'll do it for £5. For an extra £2 I'll provide you with a video recording to preserve the memory. For an extra £1 I'll even dress as Moriarty.
            Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

KpMrJ: I have contracted IT style out in Holland, but it was many years ago. I currently have part of the threaded empire, a trucking company, out in the Netherlands, based near Utrecht.

What specifically do you have a problem with? Accountants I meet are generally very helpful, especially if they can save you money and hence get away with charging more.

Basically save a receipt of everything you spend money on. Write a little note of why you think you should be able to claim this money back. Give it all to the accountant. He will sort what you can claim and what you can't.

Do remember, you are paying the accountant to help you!
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies folks,

Threaded, no real problem with the accountant, I just want to be for warned so to speak. Only claim whats accepted, ie "don't take the pi$$" and not be a push over etc. I'm carefull when it comes to receipts anyway so thanks for the advice.

J
                Trainee Techno Pikey

Comment

Nah, don't be like that, it's business, everyone tries to take the p1ss. Your accountant is used to it. If you feel your expenses are warrented by your assignement, then by all means, give them to your accountant: let him decide if/how they should be claimed. It is the accountants job.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
                    Moderators, MODERATORS!! troll alert!!
                    Might I ask why a post from a newbie means he's a troll?

As far as I was aware, CUK was a board for advice and discussion on contracting issues. As soon as a newbie comes onto this site and makes the mistake of asking a contracting question, various members of this board will go out of their way to make the newbie feel unwelcome.

It would seem that CUK has become a closed shop, full of bitter and twisted individuals that find it better to snipe and attack others rather than offer assistance. Ever wonder why some of the regulars on the old board seem to have disappeared? It's not the design of the new forums, it's rather the playground bullies that have taken residence here.

This isn't directed at you Pinto, just generally at the board.
                    Discuss PDA/Smartphones
                    Yeovil Town FC - the real green & whites

Comment

Working...
                    X