• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Labour MP on teenage pregnancy and morality. Interesting read

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labour MP on teenage pregnancy and morality. Interesting read

http://www.tomharris.org.uk/2009/03/...n-of-morality/

A previous commenter on this site got it spot on: many (though not all) teenage girls do not become pregnant accidentally because of ignorance, because of a lack of understanding of how their bodies work. They become pregnant because they have absolutely no ambition for themselves. They have been indoctrinated with the lie that they’ll never amount to anything, and have fulfilled that prophesy by making no effort to achieve any qualification. Very often they live with parents (or a parent) who have no jobs themselves, who are setting the example of benefit dependency for all their offspring.

Such young women see parenthood as one way of achieving a level of independence and self-worth. And they’re right, because that’s more or less what they get: a flat and therefore some privacy, an income for the first time in their lives. And in fact, many of them make a decent job of parenthood despite the awful circumstances. But even they are nevertheless rearing the next generation in an environment where the main adult isn’t working, but claiming.
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Good find, mostly an interesting read.

I also liked this passage:-

Being accused of agreeing with the Daily Mail’s agenda is not the worst thing my critics can say about me. Being accused of accepting the current appalling state of affairs, of pretending that the concepts of right and wrong are meaningless - that is far worse than being accused of pandering to the right.
    And, of course, it is a complete load of bollocks to suggest that the ordinary working class people of Glasgow South and in hundreds of other constituencies throughout the country don’t agree with me. The most vociferous critics of the dependancy culture and of deliberate worklessness have always been those who live in the same communities, those who resent paying their taxes to help other people waste their lives.
    And this one:-

Don’t interpret this as any kind of “back to basics” crusade; I’m not remotely interested in what adults do in the privacy of their own homes, and I’m not sounding the rallying cry for Christian or religious morality. But when the actions of others has such a debilitating effect on the rest of society, it’s time to stop being polite. It’s time to stop worrying about how people’s feelings might be hurt if we question the choices they’ve made

Comment

The only thing that is interesting in that 'stating the bleeding obvious' article, is that it is a Labour MP who is saying these things are wrong.

Normal people have known that for a long time...
      Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore View Post
        The only thing that is interesting in that 'stating the bleeding obvious' article, is that it is a Labour MP who is saying these things are wrong.

Normal people have known that for a long time...
        Indeed, bleeding obvious though it may be it's a politician displaying a shred of common sense and not toeing the party line.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          Indeed, bleeding obvious though it may be it's a politician displaying a shred of common sense and not toeing the party line.
          Maybe he's realised they're going to get a shoeing at the next election and doesn't care about the party line?
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

"And they’re right, because that’s more or less what they get: a flat and therefore some privacy, an income for the first time in their lives."

More state sponsored oppression of men. Some wont be happy until all men are castrated and women reproduce by egg division.

Comment

Working...
            X