• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK Accommodation for roaving Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Accommodation for roaving Contractors

After contracting for 10 years and paying various accommodation costs throughout UK, I thought I would get in on the act by buying couple of flats (West End of Glasgow) and rent out.

Does anyone know of any web sites contractors use for finding accommodation? (I would have thought this site would have been ideal)
    or is everyone just doing what I have been doing over the years. i.e. search local B&B's, Hotels etc

Glasgow !

rotflmfao

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by rocam
      After contracting for 10 years and paying various accommodation costs throughout UK, I thought I would get in on the act by buying couple of flats (West End of Glasgow) and rent out.

Does anyone know of any web sites contractors use for finding accommodation? (I would have thought this site would have been ideal)
      or is everyone just doing what I have been doing over the years. i.e. search local B&B's, Hotels etc
      Ignore Milkman (Everyone else does)

In my contracting years it was always look for cheapo B&B's

Don't think it's a good time to invest in property at the moment.
      Throw them to the lions - WC2 5.4

Comment

' In my contracting years it was always look for cheapo B&B's
        Don't think it's a good time to invest in property at the moment.'

Yeah, you are right, but I bought off plan 2 years ago, so need to stick it out

Comment

"Yeah, you are right, but I bought off plan 2 years ago, so need to stick it out",

cripes !

Milan.

Comment

Apart from:

Glasgow ! absolutely rotflmfao. Which gives away my prejudices... Actually when up in Glasgow I use the hotel at the train station which is so fine, and so fun (I do hope they haven't modernised it too much, last time the fun involved several american footballers and numerous local ladies, wild, poor yanks didn't know what had hit them...)

Yes, I has, depending on who you ask, several or numerous, HIMOs.

They are advertised all over the place, back of buses, web sites, all sort of places. No, I don't pay for any advertising apart from in one local paper, which I do, and have done for over 20 years, because well, I enjoy the intellectual exercise of arguing the bill each quarter. They invented bistromatics...

Only let to contractors 9 times from memory. But that is because I don't generally do that part of the market.

I generally use the American Express service to find me stuff if it looks like I shall get caught out. Otherwise find a nice B&B, and there are some outstanding ones if you ask about, even in places such as Swindon!
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I tend to use:

http://www.activehotels.com/

It covers the bottom end of the market and focuses on value, often offering empty rooms at a reasonable price. Pleased to here of other sources.

Comment

Estate and letting agents have web sites. Local newspapers will get you a list of names. Maybe the local tourist office?

I have just taken a let on a flat, and for the first time went through an agency. I don't recommend agencies on this experience. A nightmare, esp. the checks that make MI5 security clearance look trivial. But my inability to show pay slips and an employers reference stumped them. "As the managing director I can say with all honesty that the employee is a top bloke." Mmmm.

Leif

Comment

Working...
                X