• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Miners Strike - 25 yrs on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miners Strike - 25 yrs on

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7925552.stm

Any memories, stories, opinions ?

I was in the RAF at the time and posted over in Lincoln, I remember driving over one day and seeing scores and scores of police vans heading down the
    A1. I remember at the time thinking - bl**dy miners, but that was mainly watching the BBC. Anyone have any good links or recommend any books that gives both sides of the story ?

Yes, I remember when one miner was breaking the strike by working and some striking miners dumped a concrete slab over a motorway bridge onto his car. He was killed instantly. A sad story but it shows the depths to which Scargill's army of illegal strikers would stoop to.

Thatcher later introduced the secret ballot that allowed miners to vote against a strike without being intimidated(previously it was done by an undemocratic show of hands where many were frightened into going along with a strike), which had the desirable effect of reducing the levels of strikes.

Comment

Actually it was the taxi driver of the miner that was killed.

Also Gordon Brown refused to condemn the murderers actions at the time.

This wiki article is really good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_mine...ike_(1984-1985)

This was in the Guardian a few weeks back. Made a really interesting read:
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...oto-don-mcphee
      Originally posted by cailin maith
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

I remember also a story of a prostitute that offered free sex to miners because she was in favour of the strike but many wives were not and had refused 'conjugal rights'. She fainted when one miner called on her because of the size of his enormous plonker.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
          I remember also a story of a prostitute that offered free sex to miners because she was in favour of the strike but many wives were not and had refused 'conjugal rights'. She fainted when one miner called on her because of the size of his enormous plonker.
          Here Cybermug this is for you - A large pinch of Salt.....

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to believe what you read in the papers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
            Yes, I remember when one miner was breaking the strike by working and some striking miners dumped a concrete slab over a motorway bridge onto his car. He was killed instantly. A sad story but it shows the depths to which Scargill's army of illegal strikers would stoop to.

Thatcher later introduced the secret ballot that allowed miners to vote against a strike without being intimidated(previously it was done by an undemocratic show of hands where many were frightened into going along with a strike), which had the desirable effect of reducing the levels of strikes.
            All IT related work is going to stop in 12 months time, UK plc will only be using offshore imports from then on... how would you feel?

You'd be a scab no doubt.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Drewster View Post
              Here Cybermug this is for you - A large pinch of Salt.....

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to believe what you read in the papers?

The clue is in the 'story', pillock !!

Comment

Re Cybertwat: He reminds me of the character in The Simpsons who says "Ha Ha"

A real spiteful little **** isn't he?
                The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                  Re Cybertwat: He reminds me of the character in The Simpsons who says "Ha Ha"

A real spiteful little **** isn't he?
                  I see him as more of a Mr Burns character myself... only with less humility.
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by foritisme View Post
                    Any memories, stories, opinions ?
                    I remember me and a mate bowling into a motorway services on the M1 about 3am after a night on the lash, looking for a breakfast fry-up.

The restaurant was full of coppers eating breakfast fry-ups. We froze like rabbits caught in headlights.

Then we shuffled out slowly towards the door and made our getaway !

Comment

Working...
                    X