• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why are insurers getting a hammering today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are insurers getting a hammering today?

Top 5 losers

value change %

Aviva
    204.00 81.00 28.42

Prudential
    220.25 56.00 20.27

Friends Provident
    56.40 13.80 19.66

Legal & General Group
    30.70 6.70 17.91

Old Mutual
    32.80 4.60 12.30

Have these companies insured government debt or something?

Aviva just announced huge losses due to devaluation of assets, the rest is just the market assuming the rest of the sector will be as bad.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Barstewards, bought some Aviva after management said they were hunky dory. Silly me

Comment

The party line from the Chief Exec is that operating profits are up about 10% at around £2bn but taking into account devaluation of assets they lost around £8bn overall.

Comment

What about the 14.20 at Lingfield ?

(Moscow mule where are you?)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            The party line from the Chief Exec is that operating profits are up about 10% at around £2bn but taking into account devaluation of assets they lost around £8bn overall.
            I thought it was £800M (or did I miss-hear the bloke on BBC breakfast this morning?)
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              I thought it was £800M (or did I miss-hear the bloke on BBC breakfast this morning?)
              Could be, I wasn't 100% on what I heard either

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post

Aha ! As if by magic.

Mr Mule - after you placed Tara Taylor at Exeter the other day - what are your tips for the Lingfield card?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post

Looks like punters reckon Enfant de Lune will get that one, but the odds are terrible.

Better off going for Okafranca e/w at 7/1
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Looks like punters reckon Enfant de Lune will get that one, but the odds are terrible.

Better off going for Okafranca e/w at 7/1
                    Do you have a crystal ball sir?

Spot on yet again - came in third. You're in the wrong job.

Comment

Working...
                    X