• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Industrial Revolution

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Industrial Revolution

Listening to a piece on R4 yesterday a.m. about English being the international language of the air. Got me to wondering why this was, so I started to think about the empire, got me to wondering why THAT was, which got me to thinking about the Industrial Revolution.

I started to wonder if other countries teach it the same way we do, I mean do other countries say 'oh yes, it all started in England'

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Listening to a piece on R4 yesterday a.m. about English being the international language of the air. Got me to wondering why this was, so I started to think about the empire, got me to wondering why THAT was, which got me to thinking about the Industrial Revolution.

I started to wonder if other countries teach it the same way we do, I mean do other countries say 'oh yes, it all started in England'

Scotland

- A jock

Comment

Listening to a piece on R4 yesterday a.m. about English being the international language of the air.
      Except where it is Spanish.
      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Wikipedia has a long (and pretty tedious) article. I can't be bothered tracing all of the contributors, but it seems pretty Britain-centric.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

The use of English as a Lingua Franca stems from the days of Empire. English was the language of the Empire and if you wanted to have a say in anything you learnt to speak it. We didnt bother learning the local gibberish, we just shouted at them and pointed guns at them untill they did what we wanted. As a result English became the language of the administrators in every country of the Empire. At it's height a quarter of the worlds population were British subjects.

With the collapse of Empire in the early 20th century and the beginning of international travel English was the common language that was most likely to be spoken by two people of different nationalities when they met, as a result it remained long after the empire itself has gone.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            ...English was the common language that was most likely to be spoken by two people of different nationalities when they met, as a result it remained long after the empire itself has gone.
            to America.

Comment

Working...
            X