• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Local government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local government

anyone ever worked for the council in a permie capacity?

any gotchas to look out for?

don't do it unless u like the 9am-5pm with bugger all responsibility

Comment

i like the 9am-5pm with bugger all responsibility at a £100 an hour rate, do they do that too?

Rebecca in "only at weekends" mode..
      Chico, what time is it?

Comment

Originally posted by tux
        anyone ever worked for the council in a permie capacity?

any gotchas to look out for?
        Haven't as a permie, but I'm currently contracting in a council.

The biggest problem is the politics. It's even more political than central government (Ministers all belong to the same party). The Council has a cabinet and a shadow cabinet (except Lewisham, which is NL all the way and makes for some interesting in fighting).

Every senior council manager has a Member in his/her pocket (no pun intended!). No one wants to take a risk as that would give the shadow cabinet an easy target.

Comment

I forgot to add, the world of local government, especially within the London boroughs, is small and has a community feel. Staff tend to move from council to council and news spreads quickly. If you make an enemy or screw up, you can be confident all the other councils will hear about it (something to bear in mind if you apply for another job at another council).

Comment

In my previous contract at CMG I worked with a permie who had been at a local council, and he was an archetypal Guardian-reading leftie. We got on OK though, despite our political differences - He'd leave the Guardian jobs supplement on my desk every week, and in return, knowing what a fan of the Monarchy he was (not), I'd regularly snip out the Telegraph court circular and leave that on his desk.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
            X