• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am a Sagittarius I am

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a Sagittarius I am

Half horse , thats me.

I thought this was very interesting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7926235.stm
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Really, does anyone really give a toss about this sort of archaeology?

Apart from to some crusty old codger in a room in the outer spiral arm of some faceless University somewhere this information is pretty much useless.

Did horses exist a long time ago? Yes.
    Did man exist a long time ago? Yes.
    Chances of horse riding man a long time ago? Er....
    Chances of man riding horse a long time ago? Quite high.

Move on.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post

Apart from to some crusty old codger in a room in the outer spiral arm of some faceless University somewhere this information is pretty much useless.

Did horses exist a long time ago? Yes.
      Did man exist a long time ago? Yes.
      Chances of horse riding man a long time ago? Er....
      Chances of man riding horse a long time ago? Quite high.

Move on.
      if you paid a bit more attention to this sort of stuff, you would do a lot better at any quizzes you might find yourself involved in

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I found it interesting, but I'm a sad git who's interested in history and archeology as a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          If that is a serious question, listen to Science in Action on the BBC World Service - they cover it in a little more detail.

Horses are significant because of: mobility; the plough; cavalry.

This research uses some quite clever techniques (isotope analysis to determine which fats were being consumed) to show horses were being domesticated - that technique itself is useful in all sorts of analysis. As a technique, it is confirmed by other forms of analysis (bone structures, teeth and jaw distortions, burial trophies) and that in itself is significant.

This research shows domestication of horses now occurred about the same time as dogs, not much later ... what might be the significance of that?

The increased mobility would affect trade and migration - what does that tell us about the distribution of finds for that era?

If we missed this domestication, is that in itself significant?

A number of people had suspected this result would be found because of other data; the methods used to create those suspicions now have greater validity and so can be used for other subjects.

That is some of the reasons why this is interesting - the consequences.

Does that help?
          Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            if you paid a bit more attention to this sort of stuff, you would do a lot better at any quizzes you might find yourself involved in

Exactly, and increase the chances to score with that fit bird at your table. These people.... never learn...
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
            X