• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zurich?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zurich?

So, what with the UK being bankrupt and forced to print money to survive, I've decided to go to Switzerland.

Anyone been there? Got any tips about how much it costs, where I should live, can they speek English (or German) properly etc.

Iv been there in September for few days ...just holidays.

Its a great place...Nice clean decent city... Mainly they speak german but do understand english.

Wish you all the best and hope you'll have a good time...

Comment

Business trips only for me - i have a number of work colleagues there.

The old town is really nice and full of places to eat/drink. Anywhere round the lake is also very nice.

It is quite expensive i guess but not much more so than London or New York. Although the weak pound will make it feel like it hurts more!

Living in Zurich itself is both a) very expensive and b) very hard to find a place. Many I know live outside and travel in. The transport network is excellent particularly the tram system (although it's reaching capacity now).

They write and therefore read in High German but they tend to speak Swiss German with a number of local dialects - but you'll get used to that in no time. Their English is generally excellent and I know someone who has lived there for 11 years and still only speaks odd phrases of German.

Enough info?
      Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

I worked there for a few years during the last IT winter.
        Main issue after getting a job is finding somewhere to live. They have a system of moving months that happen twice a year. April and October, best apartments are available in the 6 - 8 weeks before the moving month. Outside that time it's over-priced slim pickings. Found the place a bit dead and boring after a while. But I would go back if I had too.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
          So, what with the UK being bankrupt and forced to print money to survive, I've decided to go to Switzerland.

Anyone been there? Got any tips about how much it costs, where I should live, can they speek English (or German) properly etc.
          Their English isn't too bad. German - forget it.

The best thing about Zürich is the last train to Basel.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

What are you exactly looking for? A place to stay long term and think of income in a longer timeframe? A quick buck over the next few months? A place to spend a long time with your family? A place to mingle with other singles? Adventures and fun? Safety and quietness? According to what you are looking for you might be extremelly content or disappointed.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
              What are you exactly looking for?
              Somewhere for me and my girlfriend at least up until the end of the year. The way things are looking it may have to be longer if London & NYC job markets are still dead in 9 months.

Hoping there is nightlife there. It's supposed to be the liveliest city in Switzerland.

Anyone know more about renting? It sounds as if should I go for a few days now and try to get something sorted out to move into in April. Any good agencies or places to look for ads?

Comment

Somewhere for me and my girlfriend at least up until the end of the year. The way things are looking it may have to be longer if London & NYC job markets are still dead in 9 months.

Hoping there is nightlife there. It's supposed to be the liveliest city in Switzerland.

Anyone know more about renting? It sounds as if should I go for a few days now and try to get something sorted out to move into in April. Any good agencies or places to look for ads?
                Well if it's a temporary gig I don't think Zurich is the best place to go. However, yes if the choice is to be on the bench or nothing else then...

Go this forum, there is lots of information from several people http://www.englishforum.ch

You'll find next to impossible to find long-term accomodation without receiving the permit details and therefore you might have to go for short-term accomodation which is not nice and very expensive.

It is certainly the liveliest city of Switzerland, true, but that's only because the rest of Switzerland is plain dead in that respect. * Still expect it to be several levels behind cities like London or Amsterdam for night life.

* and hope you don't mind smoke in public places as most of them are full of it and I don't think they are planning the ban anytime soon
                Last edited by Francko; 6 March 2009, 20:53.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                X