• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of England's £150bn injection may not work, economists warn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...ists-warn.html

Economists have warned that the attempt by the Bank of England to revive Britain's fortunes by injecting up to £150bn into the economy is a high-risk strategy that might not work.

The concern centres on whether the banks will be prepared to lend the extra money sloshing around the economy to businesses and consumers, or whether they will choose to hoard the cash.

The programme's success will be judged by the extent that it boosts the supply of money and credit, the lack of which the Governor, Mervyn King, has described as the biggest single threat to the economy.

Fathom Consulting, set up by a group of former Bank of England economists, described the Bank's plans to buy Government debt and other assets with newly created money as "a step into the dark".

In a note it said: "It is very possible that the UK economy will have shrunk by between 5pc and 7pc in total by the time this recession is over.

"Is that really the sort of environment where banks are willing to expand lending? In such a nasty environment, earning 0pc on one's cash balances may be preferable to potentially earning much less by lending the money out. The crisp new bills could then simply end up gathering dust in bank vaults."

The economists conclude that the impact of the initial £75bn injection over the next three months is "likely to be modest".

The Bank will officially embark on the process, known as quantitative easing, on Wednesday by purchasing £2bn of gilts at an auction. Analysts warned that if the programme fails to improve conditions almost immediately, the markets may suffer another crisis of confidence.

Stephen Lewis at Monument Securities said: "The danger is that the authorities have set the bar of success too high. In claiming that quantitative easing will turn on the credit taps, they run the risk of despair setting in if it fails to generate a revival of bank lending."

Analysts have also suggested that despite being a big number, £150bn might not be enough to have sufficient effect, and the Bank may have to seek authorisation from the Chancellor to extend the programme.

Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics said: "Even if bank lending and broad money growth increase, this may not translate into a significant rise in economic activity if firms decide not to spend the extra money.

"The upshot is that, while Thursday's adoption of quantitative easing is a welcome step, for now it does not alter our view that the economy will contract sharply this year, and perhaps further next year."

It'll not only not work, it'll make things worse.

11 days to go ...
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
      It'll not only not work, it'll make things worse.

11 days to go ...
      Being only a "part time" economics expert, I can see how pumping money in can be counter productive. Here's my reasoning.

Over the past 7 years, the UK ecomony attracted about £700 Billion of extra investment into banks alone, most of which I believe came from overseas.

It has to be said that NuLabour did a good job of attracting overseas investment. The main problem with it - is that overseas investors are very fickle. They'll move their money around at a whim.

Now whenever the UK government announces "an extra x billion pounds" to be pumped into banks, those investors get very spooked - and I bet a chunk of them decide to remove their money from UK plc.

Now that doesn't mean that the money wouldn't have been pulled out anyway, but it seems equally plausible that for every billion pounds the government pumps in, investors withdraw 2 billion pounds - hence making the problem worse.

If the investors had confidence in what the government was doing - they wouldn't be scrambling to get their money out.

The run we saw at Northern Rock is still happening to every other bank - just happening over computer screens and telephones instead of queues outside branches.

I haven't seen any of the "full time" experts use this as an explanation, which could mean I'm talking utter tosh.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Being only a "part time" economics expert, I can see how pumping money in can be counter productive. Here's my reasoning.

Over the past 7 years, the UK ecomony attracted about £700 Billion of extra investment into banks alone, most of which I believe came from overseas.

It has to be said that NuLabour did a good job of attracting overseas investment. The main problem with it - is that overseas investors are very fickle. They'll move their money around at a whim.

Now whenever the UK government announces "an extra x billion pounds" to be pumped into banks, those investors get very spooked - and I bet a chunk of them decide to remove their money from UK plc.

Now that doesn't mean that the money wouldn't have been pulled out anyway, but it seems equally plausible that for every billion pounds the government pumps in, investors withdraw 2 billion pounds - hence making the problem worse.

If the investors had confidence in what the government was doing - they wouldn't be scrambling to get their money out.

The run we saw at Northern Rock is still happening to every other bank - just happening over computer screens and telephones instead of queues outside branches.

I haven't seen any of the "full time" experts use this as an explanation, which could mean I'm talking utter tosh.
        No you're not - Foreign investors have largely already acted in ditching sterling, in anticipation of a drop in its value caused by McBorrown's meddling.

It's a bit like a charged particle in a magnetic field - While it remains at rest it doesn't feel the magnetic force; but as soon as it moves, the field starts opposing its motion! Or something like that.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
          Ok, then. You're talking utter tosh.

They will have the first small auction. Confidence will be fully restored. By the end of the month everything will be fine. The footsie will will be back at 6500, the Dow will be back where it was. We'll be back to full employment. There will be lots of shiny new cars on the road.

The unicorns will also be happily grazing in the paddock of my house which I will have just accepted an 8 figure cash offer for.

Personally I am a little suspicious that effectively 150bln inflation pushed into the system might not have quite the right effect....

Comment

It might work. It might not work. The truth is nobody actually knows because it has never been done before. Yes, QE has been used, but the difference here is that most other countries either are doing the same thing or will be, and probably in similar measures.

Notice how the pound didn't drop like a stone when this was announced? Regardless of whether or not QE and a 50% cut in interest rates had been factored into the markets, in normal times you still would have expected a more dramatic fall when it was actually announced. The problem is, these ain't normal times.

Despite what folk like our Walter Mitty friend are probably claiming, nobody really knows if this will work or not. I'll be honest - I haven't the faintest idea. You can make a strong case for either side of the argument.

We live in interesting times.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
              Notice how the pound didn't drop like a stone when this was announced?
              I was expecting a 10-20 point drop, but it barely moved. I know that part of this has already been priced in and the pound has fallen a lot in the past 12 months, but I was still surprised to see it hold.

Maybe as you say, because other countries are/will be doing the same, investors are thinking the pound is no worse than anything else at the moment.

Comment

Some economists say it's a good thing, others disagree. If those who have studied this properly can't make up their minds what chance do we have of guessing? And they are damned either way... if things get worse we'll blame QE when for all anybody knows, QE might lead to things being worse, but not by as much if QE wasn't implemented.

And anyway, since when does anyone here trust economists? When we disagree with them we dismiss them as guessing, when they say what we want to hear then we quote them
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Some economists say it's a good thing, others disagree. If those who have studied this properly can't make up their minds what chance do we have of guessing?
                  Just as much chance as them?

Or perhaps a better chance because we haven't the preconceptions that those who have studied the classical theories of economics may have?
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Just as much chance as them?

Or perhaps a better chance because we haven't the preconceptions that those who have studied the classical theories of economics may have?
                    Yes, like when I looked at a pile of bricks and morter, neatly assembled into a house, I couldn't see why it was worth 100s of thousands of pounds - and still think they're overpriced.

But all these bright economists talked about long term supply problems and how the boom just couldn't end because of x and y.

Guess these were the same types of bright people that saw a tullip as something more than just a flower a few hundred years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X