• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Foreign IT workers swamp UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign IT workers swamp UK

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...-com-boom.html

Perhaps the reason why so many people are on the bench.

The HO has just announced several changes that will tighten up the immigration rules.

For example to get in under Tier 1 (HSMP) you now need a Masters degree. And to get in under Tier 2 your sponsor must advertise your position at a Job Centre first. Both these rules should significantly reduce the amount of IT labour coming in from the sub-continent (who here has a Masters?!?)

Of course this worries heck out of me as I'm here on a HSMP that is up for renewal next year. The official line is that they will allow existing visa holders to apply for further leave under the old rules, but since this government seems to change directions faster than a fly who knows

I completely understand the reason though. AFAIK the UK has the easiest Work Visa entry conditions in the world. The only other country that I can get in to (that I know of) is Canada, but the wait time is 8 months to 4 years.

ps. before you snipe I'm Australian - and I can guarantee there are more Brits working in my country than there are Aussies working in yours

Comment

In my experience, the problem is not the odd person like local oaf - but great teams of people brought in by companies that have outsourcing. Maybe someone here can enlighten me how they do it, but as I understand it there is a loophole that allows companies to do this.

A short while ago I was working at a large American company and whole floors were taken up with foreign workers working on local projects. The only local people were one or two PMs working on the project, all the rest were from Indian companies. I couldn't understand how they could get away with it.
      Last edited by Jubber; 9 March 2009, 11:32. Reason: speeling

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
        In my experience, the problem is not the odd person like local oaf - but great teams of people brought in by companies that have outsourcing. Maybe someone here can enlighten me how they do it, but as I understand it there is a loophole that allows companies to do this.

A short while ago I was working at a large American company and whole floors were taken up with foreign workers working on local projects. The only local people where one or two PMs working on the project, all the rest were from Indian companies. I couldn't understand how they could get away with it.
        "Training" contracts. You'll notice that the folks in these arrangements tend to change every 6 months or so.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

What does "Swamp the UK" mean? Are they turning into a swamp. Am I likely to get stuck in a swamp of MS certified techies?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
            A short while ago I was working at a large American company and whole floors were taken up with foreign workers working on local projects. The only local people were one or two PMs working on the project, all the rest were from Indian companies. I couldn't understand how they could get away with it.
            Wasn't E*S by any chance? I worked on a project recently in the same building where they resided and I too saw entire floors of foreign workers there.
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by local oaf View Post
              For example to get in under Tier 1 (HSMP) you now need a Masters degree. And to get in under Tier 2 your sponsor must advertise your position at a Job Centre first. Both these rules should significantly reduce the amount of IT labour coming in from the sub-continent (who here has a Masters?!?)

I think that won't change anything, I did a Masters a few years ago and I was the only UK citizen on the course of 20 people (and yes it was in IT!)... everyone else was foreign students.
              The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

There's no loophole as such. A company in the UK will outsource a project (or even a "function") to a foreign company (i.e. in India). So the work goes "offshore".
                The indian company will say we have "X" resources that are required to complete this project, and they have to work on client site. Can we please have work visas for them? The rules of the visa are that these resources cannot leave thier job and apply for any other job in the UK.

So the question is not really "foreign workers" coming in, but UK companies outsourcing projects offshore. The UK company can easily oursource the project to a UK company, who would employ UK resources. But obvioulsy, that will be more expensive. And dont expect daily mail to run with this angle.

Comment

As opposed to "UK IT workers swamping foreigners"?

How many ex-pats subscribe to these threads and are working abroad (theoretically taking away jobs from local Johnny Foreigner?)

Comment

You haven't paid you anti hypocrite insurance have you?

Comment

Working...
                    X