• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running a broadband cable to 2nd bedroom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running a broadband cable to 2nd bedroom

Does anyone here know how cable guys run cables through to 2nd bedrooms where the cables are not externally visible ?

I want a Virgin broadband socket in my 2nd bedroom (the master Virgin broadband socket is in the living room), my 2nd bedroom already has a working secondary BT socket, I was just wondering how do they guide the cables behind the wall to distant rooms ?

Someone once told me of a device which has a spring in it and enables you to guide the cable through the wall cavaties but I'm not entirely sure how they've managed it with my current BT socket in the bedroom ... anyone has any ideas ?

Could not find something on the net, running the virgin cable externally along the skirting boards is not really an option.

Is a wireless router not an option for you then ?

Comment

under the floorboards.
      The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Ferret?

Comment

You can use any twisted pair cable (must be twisted NOT flat ribbon) you can even use redundant telephone lines if you have any otherwise get a long length of THIN twisted pair telephone cable and you can even cut off the outer sleeving to make it very thin, then gently force it between the carpet and skirting board out of view. Attach each end to an RJ45 socket and connet with patch cables to the PC and router.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            Ferret?
            Trained ferret.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Assuming you have a router attached to your cable modem (if not they cost bog all) there's a very easy way to get ethernet into your bedroom/office. Buy a pair of ethernet over power adapters, these are often called powerline ethernet.

You plug one end into the power near your router and run a standard ethernet cable from a port on the router to the adapter, you then plug the second one into the power in your bedroom and a standard ethernet cable from the adapter to the PC/Mac/Xbox and job done. These adapters modulate the ethernet signal over the house standard mains power cables and work a treat, I've got a couple of pairs in this house and put in some at my ex wifes place as the wireless signal in that house is particularly pants. They connect at around 100Mbit if you buy the right ones.
              A pair of powerline adapters will cost you £40-50 off eBay or £80-90 retail. I've even got a spare set myself as I had bids in on 3 pairs when I wanted 2 for the ex wifes place and I won all 3 cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Assuming you have a router attached to your cable modem (if not they cost bog all) there's a very easy way to get ethernet into your bedroom/office. Buy a pair of ethernet over power adapters, these are often called powerline ethernet.

You plug one end into the power near your router and run a standard ethernet cable from a port on the router to the adapter, you then plug the second one into the power in your bedroom and a standard ethernet cable from the adapter to the PC/Mac/Xbox and job done. These adapters modulate the ethernet signal over the house standard mains power cables and work a treat, I've got a couple of pairs in this house and put in some at my ex wifes place as the wireless signal in that house is particularly pants. They connect at around 100Mbit if you buy the right ones.
                A pair of powerline adapters will cost you £40-50 off eBay or £80-90 retail. I've even got a spare set myself as I had bids in on 3 pairs when I wanted 2 for the ex wifes place and I won all 3 cheaply.
                Check ebuyer.com ... they were doing an 85mbit set for £49 or something.
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post

Thanks for that that should fix my problem - I didn't even know those things existed !!, although I dunno how that would work on a multi socket power extension ! I'll just use a single wall socket if that's the case.

One thing is that when you plug any appliance into the electrical mains at that instance in time theres meant to be a "voltage spike" created in the order of 320V, I wonder if this would affect any internet traffic going down my mains power cables !

thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                    Check ebuyer.com ... they were doing an 85mbit set for £49 or something.
                    Don't buy the 85Mbit versions, they're a false economy. The Comtrend ones I have are rated up to 200Mbit and are newer technology, most routers have 100Mbit ports and if you're transferring data on the internal network there's no point throttling your bandwidth for the sake of a few quid. From eBay I've bought 4 pairs and no pair cost me over £40 including postage.

Officially they aren't supposed to work on gang sockets, but all 8 of the ones I've installed work absolutely fine on them and in houses that haven't been rewired in a long time.

They seem to cope quite happily with domestic stuff being turned on and off and plugged in so there must be enough power smoothing built in to the design that it's not a concern.

Comment

Working...
                    X