• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I guess that's why they call it the blues ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess that's why they call it the blues ...

Hey folks,

What are your strategies for coping with this downturn?

No ... I'm not looking for tips on how to hunt even longer for more jobs, speak to more pimps or get interviews for contracts that are at rates that I was on as a permie 10 years ago ... I'm talking about the humdrum boredom of just hanging around the house all day, trawling the jobsites, checking for new emails/voicemail every hour, eating junk food, watching junk TV, snapping at the missus, etc?

I've done all of my minor DIY jobs now ... there isn't a squeaky hinge in the whole house ... and no, I am NOT going to order and label all of the nails and screws in my garage (that's called obsessive-compulsive) ... I'm trying to decide whether to just job hunt maybe twice a week, check my email once a day and leave my mobile on ... and just throw myself into a big DIY project and be prepared to write off the year.

What are you guys/gals thinking? I'm sooo bored seeing the same old jobs being re-posted on the jobsites ... asking for everything plus the kitchen sink but wanting to pay pocket money ... aaahhh ... it's an employers/pimps market at the moment ... but it's hard enough putting up with all of the daily cr*p that you normally have to put up with when pay is good and work is plentiful ... but doing it for a pittance? ... or even worse ... as a permie!

Ziggy

You could try posting on here more?
    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
      Hey folks,

No ... I'm not looking for tips on how to hunt even longer for more jobs, speak to more pimps or get interviews for contracts that are at rates that I was on as a permie 10 years ago ... I'm talking about the humdrum boredom of just hanging around the house all day, trawling the jobsites, checking for new emails/voicemail every hour, eating junk food, watching junk TV, snapping at the missus, etc?

I've done all of my minor DIY jobs now ... there isn't a squeaky hinge in the whole house ... and no, I am NOT going to order and label all of the nails and screws in my garage (that's called obsessive-compulsive) ... I'm trying to decide whether to just job hunt maybe twice a week, check my email once a day and leave my mobile on ... and just throw myself into a big DIY project and be prepared to write off the year.

What are you guys/gals thinking? I'm sooo bored seeing the same old jobs being re-posted on the jobsites ... asking for everything plus the kitchen sink but wanting to pay pocket money ... aaahhh ... it's an employers/pimps market at the moment ... but it's hard enough putting up with all of the daily cr*p that you normally have to put up with when pay is good and work is plentiful ... but doing it for a pittance? ... or even worse ... as a permie!

Ziggy
      go permie, it may be your only option unless you can tough it out financially for the next 9 months

Comment

Am off April / May and then back at current client co to run another SAP project. Plans so far..

1. Skiing April.
        2. Divemaster course in May.
        3. Bit of DIY.
        4. Antifoul underside of boat - need a big motivational push to get this done.
        Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by GCR99 View Post
          go permie, it may be your only option unless you can tough it out financially for the next 9 months
          years

- sasguru
          "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

House prices only ever go down

Comment

A serious disciplined retraining effort or a major DIY project, in both cases were you put the required hours in each day religously. I've done both in the past during slow spells and I'm pretty sure it paid off. I've also drifted along doing not much when out of work and enjoyed drifting but you get fed up sooner or later. I have a nasty feeling this slow spell will be slower and longer than previous ones so a bit of discipline is defo required in my case. I'm just about to put in planning permission for an extension as my fallback for the summer months if I'm benched.

Comment

My gig ends March 31st so with the river fly fishing season starting a week before that, its almost perfect timing

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy View Post
                  Hey folks,

Do you read books?

Comment

Learn to play poker better than anyone else in the world and earn s*** loads.. Thats my plan B

Or whilst benched up my skills. In this climate the more skills you have the better the chance of getting off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                    X