• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this "really getting away from it all"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this "really getting away from it all"?

I accidentaly watched that TV show with that ex-diver bloke last night where he has, apart from the:

1. Helicopter.
    2. Film crew.
    3. Endless supply of money and fuel.
    4. Free electricity generator.
    5. Spanking new RIB to get about on.
    6. Free local labour to do all the hard graft.
    7. Electric fridge.
    8. Almost new Landrover 110.
    9. Endless supply of "tinned" food.
    10. Fresh water supply at the local campsite.
    10. Negotiated "BCC" costs for sheep, pigs and chickens.
    11. Annoying dog.

Apparently "gotten away from it all" on some remote bit of Scottish coastline to be a beachcomber in the tradition of the old crofters.

I know it's made for the old TV and all that, but it's hardly "getting away from it all" is it? And I kind of feel betrayed by them selling this show with that as a strapline.

To rebuild my faith, and in similar veign I will be approaching the BBC with a treatment for a show where I "get away from it all" on a tropical island near Tahiti under the pretence that it will contribute something to someone somehow. It will be pointless reality-docu-drama that explains in detail errr... nothing. But I guarantee that I will get makeup to make me look gorgeous from every possible angle.

Thanks for paying for this y'all.
    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

There was a programme a few years ago where volunteers struggled against the elements on a Hebridean Island wilderness, with all that gear .... while elsewhere on the island, the locals were doing their gardening in slippers.

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
      I accidentaly watched that TV show with that ex-diver bloke last night where he has, apart from the:

1. Helicopter.
      2. Film crew.
      3. Endless supply of money and fuel.
      4. Free electricity generator.
      5. Spanking new RIB to get about on.
      6. Free local labour to do all the hard graft.
      7. Electric fridge.
      8. Almost new Landrover 110.
      9. Endless supply of "tinned" food.
      10. Fresh water supply at the local campsite.
      10. Negotiated "BCC" costs for sheep, pigs and chickens.
      11. Annoying dog.

Apparently "gotten away from it all" on some remote bit of Scottish coastline to be a beachcomber in the tradition of the old crofters.

I know it's made for the old TV and all that, but it's hardly "getting away from it all" is it? And I kind of feel betrayed by them selling this show with that as a strapline.

To rebuild my faith, and in similar veign I will be approaching the BBC with a treatment for a show where I "get away from it all" on a tropical island near Tahiti under the pretence that it will contribute something to someone somehow. It will be pointless reality-docu-drama that explains in detail errr... nothing. But I guarantee that I will get makeup to make me look gorgeous from every possible angle.

Thanks for paying for this y'all.
      I saw that one as well. And apart from the obvious reality tv stuff and the fact he;s only doing it for 6 months I have to say I was more than a little envious. The location is spectacular and I'd happily put up with a reduction in creature comforts in return for being able to live there. Whether he feels the same come the depths of winter reamins to be seen.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I switched over for a bit when he was training the shinty team. That aint getting away from it.

And that shed is going bye bye with the first winter storm. I think that is why he only did the summer months.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          I switched over for a bit when he was training the shinty team. That aint getting away from it.

And that shed is going bye bye with the first winter storm. I think that is why he only did the summer months.
          I arrived in Benbecula one summer, driving past some crofts I was interested to see a couple of caravans parked out front. They each had two steel cables over the roofs, pegged down with three foot spikes - 'now thats a bit OTT' I thought.

Six months later I saw three parts of a caravan strewn along a beach, neatly cut like a cheese with wire

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
          X