• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses - car when working abroad.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses - car when working abroad.

I worked in Germany for about a year for a contact i had.
    I hired a car which i needed to use for business 100% of the time. My client reimbursed my car and fuel expenses as we agreed this.

Now my accountants are taxing me on the money i am receiving in respect of the car and fuel expenses. I dont believe i should be as it was 100% business use and i had the car for business reasons.

I understand about the company car rules, but this was not a car i used personally or even had the choice in having. It was a requirment for me working whilst i was over there.

Based on the fact it was not actually a benefit to me, should i therefore not be taxed on it?

Originally posted by chrisl View Post
    I worked in Germany for about a year for a contact i had.
    I hired a car which i needed to use for business 100% of the time. My client reimbursed my car and fuel expenses as we agreed this.

Now my accountants are taxing me on the money i am receiving in respect of the car and fuel expenses. I dont believe i should be as it was 100% business use and i had the car for business reasons.
    What do you mean by "taxing me on the money" - how are they doing this?

Are you a sole trader or a Ltd Company?

Comment

Sorry, Ltd company.

When i get paid they pay my wage + re-chargeable client expenses. Therefore, corp tax is getting applied to the whole lot.

Comment

Erm, not it isn't....

Simplified sums:

100 worth of work, 2.50 car expenses per month = billing of 102.50 per month.

Taxable profit = 102.50 per month less expenses of 2.50 per month.

So taxable profit = 100 per month
        Still Invoicing

Comment

...Now my accountants are taxing me on the money i am receiving in respect of the car and fuel expenses. ...
          HMRC are your accountants?

When i get paid they pay my wage + re-chargeable client expenses
          So it is a brolly?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
          X