• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Be afraid, be very afraid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be afraid, be very afraid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...rl-Harbor.html

The multi-billionaire, who is an informal advisor to President Barack Obama, conceded the economy had approached "close to the worse case" possible.

He also warned that recovery would not come quickly.

Acknowledging his own failure to foresee the scale of the crisis, he admitted: "It's fallen off a cliff. Not only has the economy slowed down but people have really changed their habits like I haven't seen."

Mr Buffett, recently ranked the second-richest American by Forbes magazine, said that fear was the greatest cause of damage to the economy, claiming it is now dominating the public's behaviour to an alarming degree.

"People are confused and scared," he said.

Doomed!

That's why I'm taking the following action:

1. Buying a house with land to grow food.
    2. Getting a shotgun licence and buying a lot of shotguns.
    3. Taking hand-to-hand combat training
    4. Learning how to use a sword and a bow-and-arrow

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...rl-Harbor.html

The multi-billionaire, who is an informal advisor to President Barack Obama, conceded the economy had approached "close to the worse case" possible.

He also warned that recovery would not come quickly.

Acknowledging his own failure to foresee the scale of the crisis, he admitted: "It's fallen off a cliff. Not only has the economy slowed down but people have really changed their habits like I haven't seen."

Mr Buffett, recently ranked the second-richest American by Forbes magazine, said that fear was the greatest cause of damage to the economy, claiming it is now dominating the public's behaviour to an alarming degree.

"People are confused and scared," he said.

Doomed!

That's why I'm taking the following action:

2. Getting a shotgun licence and buying a lot of shotguns.
    3. Taking hand-to-hand combat training
    4. Learning how to use a sword and a bow-and-arrow

Just another of those scaremongers who would have you that the US is on the brink of collpase.

We all know that John Wayne will come to the rescue - he'll tell the baddy recession to get off his horse then get outta town by Sunset !

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post

We all know that John Wayne will come to the rescue - he'll tell the baddy recession to get off his horse then get outta town by Sunset !
      No way!

Techno Viking would kick John Wayne's ass.
      Originally posted by cailin maith
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar??

Comment

trapping all my money in property which will be unsaleable when things collapse
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Then he drawls 'You're going to look mighty stupid with that Quantitive Easing stuck up your ass'
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            trapping all my money in property which will be unsaleable when things collapse
            Yes, because paper money is going to be more valuable than land on which I can grow food and live on.

Comment

Yes, because paper money is going to be more valuable than land on which I can grow food and live on.
              For the £1m you're talking about in other threads, you could buy a reasonable house with a massive amount of land in the country and be properly self-sufficient, instead you want to buy a big house in the south-east with a bit of land attached? If things do properly collapse, think how much competition for resources there will be in the south-east. Your only chance is there will be so many looters they'll be too busy fighting each other over your stuff and you get time to escape.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                For the £1m you're talking about in other threads, you could buy a reasonable house with a massive amount of land in the country and be properly self-sufficient, instead you want to buy a big house in the south-east with a bit of land attached? If things do properly collapse, think how much competition for resources there will be in the south-east. Your only chance is there will be so many looters they'll be too busy fighting each other over your stuff and you get time to escape.
                What you mean 32 acres is not enough?

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...id/MAYHA111080

Comment

Does that mean we should also stock up on Pot Noodles?

'elf and safety guru

Comment

What you mean 32 acres is not enough?

http://www.primelocation.com/uk-prop...id/MAYHA111080
                    It's a run down cattle shed surrounded by 'grazing land'. Yep, grazing land; that's the land where only grass will grow succesfully, so the only thing you can really farm successfully will be cattle, and it'll be a small herd; you need about 5 acres per cow assuming you don't want ot have to buy feed from external suppliers, so you'll be able to keep max 6 cows; that isn't much. Obviously, you'll have to slaughter two, plus any male calves you don't need, and you'll need to rent a stud each year to avoid inbreeding in your tiny herd or at least buy frozen semen, which isn't cheap for good quality stuff. You won't grow much veg, hops or vines on that land. Oh there's a bit of woodland as well, so you might shoot the odd pigeon. I'm afraid the sums just don't add up though.

I don't think you should underestimate how skilled the work of a cattle farmer is, and just how much hard work it'll be.

You might be better putting your million into a little house in Portugal with a vegetable patch, buying yourself a boat to go fishing and sticking the rest in a cooperative bank.
                    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 10 March 2009, 09:44.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X