• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

6+ months projects with 3 months contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6+ months projects with 3 months contract

A contracting philosophical question…

I know that this wouldn’t trouble many of the more hard-nosed of you out there but I’m currently wrangling with this at the moment as my current contract runs till the end of March, so would appreciate your advice…

The project I’m in lasts until the end of August and I’m in the plan till then and am providing a large deliverable that has a considerable impact on the success of the project.

However… Agents are now calling with a view to tempt me away with better rates and longer duration of contract.

I’m torn with the fact that I’d be leaving mid-project, even though I would simply not take the extension…

I’m used to contracts lasting the same length of time as the project so this conflict doesn’t crop up.

What is the panel’s view on this?

(NB. I'm leaning to continue for professional pride, but does business pragmatism conflict with this?)
    Last edited by cojak; 10 March 2009, 16:09.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

I was planned in for work up until July, but contract ends 31 march with no extension AND rate was cut for last two months. ClientCo is desperately trying to save money, even to the point of turning down the heating.

They'll dump you at the drop of a hat, so why should they expect better?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Permietractor.

Burn him!
      Cats are evil.

Comment

You've got to do what is best for your business. Stay if you think there is a good chance of repeat work in the future but go if you can make a lot more elsewhere.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Facing a very similar situation. Expect better rates elsewhere are not the only driver. The micromanagement of the client is driving me nuts. They've pencilled me in until August although I've a renewal due just one week into April, I'm very tempted to jump, full well knowing the impact this will have on reputation - I work in a very small industry so perhaps this is some gauge how naffed off I am with the client.

"Look after number one, look after yourself"

This is what I hear from friends and family more often than not and I agree. It would not be the first time I've jumped mid-project despite how guilty it may make me feel but you've got to look after yourself in the end.

The previous jump I made was purely money motivated. How quickly would your client drop you if they run into financial situation? yeah.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Facing a very similar situation. Expect better rates elsewhere are not the only driver. The micromanagement of the client is driving me nuts. They've pencilled me in until August although I've a renewal due just one week into April, I'm very tempted to jump, full well knowing the impact this will have on reputation - I work in a very small industry so perhaps this is some gauge how naffed off I am with the client.

"Look after number one, look after yourself"

This is what I hear from friends and family more often than not and I agree. It would not be the first time I've jumped mid-project despite how guilty it may make me feel but you've got to look after yourself in the end.

The previous jump I made was purely money motivated. How quickly would your client drop you if they run into financial situation? yeah.
            Why not sit down with the client and explain the aggravation their causing to you, and let them give it a chance. At least if you leave you can turn round and say "told you so".
            The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
              Why not sit down with the client and explain the aggravation their causing to you, and let them give it a chance. At least if you leave you can turn round and say "told you so".
              I have already. I've actually not turned up on site this week so far choosing to work off-site, I've made much more progress already.

They've gone ballistic - still they've not fired me. Trust is out the window with them.

Hopefully, next week, I can demonstrate the progress that's been made without interruption & control.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I always take the view that you are just a number to these places, but I would take the chance to tell the number who is in charge of you what the situation is, then leave.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
                  I did that. I told them the internal bureaucracy was making testing impossible and thereby creating even greater risks to service continuity than the tulipware they buy from Mr Shawadiwadi’s ICT emporium. It didn’t help; they haven’t got any money to improve matters. My argument that they can’t afford to keep things the way they are doesn’t get anywhere.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    A contracting philosophical question…

I’m torn with the fact that I’d be leaving mid-project, even though I would simply not take the extension…

I’m used to contracts lasting the same length of time as the project so this conflict doesn’t crop up.

What is the panel’s view on this?
                    Sit down with current client co. and explain situation. If no proper extension is forthcoming then you have to look after yourself, understand that this is now not your issue and move on.
                    Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X