• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All quiet on the western front

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All quiet on the western front

I guess most people on the bench are finding this as well. Jobswerve has almost dried up completely in the last few weeks I guess due to the recession and with the end of the finacial year approaching.

March is always a quiet time but its super quiet at the moment. the only ray of sunlight is that most agents I've talked to over the last few weeks expect a rise in the number of positions come the end of the month as clients are waiting till year end.

Hope so as I'm getting a little stir crazy after 2.5 months on the bench.

It's tough.

Take today. The only one that was an exact match..... I can't get through to the agent. Had his 'colleague' twice as the actual chap is on the other line all the time. Left messages, sent emails via Jobserve and directly (worked out his email) and still nothing back.

Still, chin up, onwards and upwards so they say, in fact I'm so impressed with the current market I've booked a week away - leave on Friday.

Comment

Have you tried creating a profile and looking on Monster.co.uk?

I seem to be getting a few decent calls every week from this even though I am not actively looking at the moment.
      Sval-Baard Consulting Ltd - we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied.

Nothing says "you're a loser" more than owning a motivational signature about being a winner.

Comment

Tough!! bit of an understatement at the moment but I feel things will pick up. Enjoy the week off, I've booked myself on a course next week so the change will be as good as a break..

Comment

Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
          Have you tried creating a profile and looking on Monster.co.uk?

I seem to be getting a few decent calls every week from this even though I am not actively looking at the moment.
          Yep, checking all the usual sites, just need to be patient..

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post

Chin up old boy.

I'm now treating my bench time off as a sabbatical break, got plenty of stuff on the go I've wanted to get round to doing. And all the wage slaves I know are desperately miserable and insecure about their own jobs right now. So the way I see it there is no better time for a break than during a stonking great recession!

(I may change this view once my war chest runs out though )

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
              I guess most people on the bench are finding this as well. Jobswerve has almost dried up completely in the last few weeks I guess due to the recession and with the end of the finacial year approaching.

March is always a quiet time but its super quiet at the moment. the only ray of sunlight is that most agents I've talked to over the last few weeks expect a rise in the number of positions come the end of the month as clients are waiting till year end.

I've been benched for over 3 months now. Get the odd phone call every now and then. I still waiting for a decent role (contract or perm).
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
                Chin up old boy.

I'm now treating my bench time off as a sabbatical break, got plenty of stuff on the go I've wanted to get round to doing. And all the wage slaves I know are desperately miserable and insecure about their own jobs right now. So the way I see it there is no better time for a break than during a stonking great recession!

(I may change this view once my war chest runs out though )
                I good approach. I must admit that if things don’t start to pick up in April I'm seriously thinking about going travelling for a few months. Visit all the places I've wanted to go and never have..

Comment

I reckon people like me, formerly a bit sloppy about applying for contracts, in terms of remembering agents' names or even their agencies, will need to up their game in the way of nurturing contacts and phoning round to enquire about contracts before these hit Jobserve and suchlike.

So the other thing I've started carefully doing, which I never bothered with before, is to keep contact details for agents who have shown an interest in my CV in the past, because the chances are they will be dealing with similar roles, relevant to me, in the future.

Touch wood, I'm starting a six weeker on an excellent rate. But it won't be long before I'm looking again.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Good for you (not being sarcastic). I'm glad someone is getting contracts, gives the rest of us hope.

Comment

Working...
                    X