• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's getting cold here

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's getting cold here

ClientCo have turned the heating down by 2 degrees in an attempt to save money.

Of course, they won't be cutting back on mindless bureaucracy, the top heavy management or the bulltulip motivation posters budget.

Any other tales of mad attempts to save money?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Newspapers cancelled.
    No more use of 1st class post.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Newspapers cancelled.
      No more use of 1st class post.
      My favourite was Great Western's attempts to cut costs in the late 90's. Did they sort out the fact that their trains were nearly always late, so they had to pay huge fines each year? No. Did they sort out the ridiculous amount of bureaucracy that slowed down every decision at every level? No.

They removed tiny free bags of peanuts from the buffet trolley that went through 1st class.

Brilliant.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It might be working. I'm going home because I'm bloody freezing. Will bring scarf, woolly hat and jumper tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by PM-Junkie View Post
          My favourite was Great Western's attempts to cut costs in the late 90's. Did they sort out the fact that their trains were nearly always late, so they had to pay huge fines each year? No. Did they sort out the ridiculous amount of bureaucracy that slowed down every decision at every level? No.

They removed tiny free bags of peanuts from the buffet trolley that went through 1st class.

Brilliant.
          This is typical 'big company small brains' management.

Comment

One from 2003. The permies at that place were told to print their own payslips. Savings of 70,000 euro a year were claimed.

Permie headcount? 30,000.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              One from 2003. The permies at that place were told to print their own payslips. Savings of 70,000 euro a year were claimed.

Permie headcount? 30,000.
              I suppose they printed them at work.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

The canteen here have removed the serviettes from the general dispenser and are now behind the till. You get 1 per meal !

I always like to keep a few spare on my desk for coffee spillages etc

Comment

In 2002 I worked in a place that was so cold I used to wear a North Face fleece and woolly hat at my desk.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    I suppose they printed them at work.
                    That was the idea, yes. The only folks who could print them from home needed clientco issued laptops to get onto the network.

But don't expect HR to have thought of that, they were getting stuff off their budget.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X