• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wi-Fi in the home and risk of cancer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi in the home and risk of cancer

I've been hearing negative things about Wi-Fi i.e. it emits radiation which could give cancer to people and you should switch it off in the home at night when you are sleeping.

Is this just a load of scaremongering bull tuplip or is there a shred of truth in it.

I mean how does Wi-Fi compare to AM/FM radio waves in terms of them being able to mutate your DNA and give you cancer ?

I've been using Wi-Fi with my new laptop for the last 4 months in the home but I've always slept with my BT Hub router ON in the bedroom for the past 2 years and even though I never used Wi-Fi for the majority of this time it does emit a signal !!!

Your valued opinions are most welcome !

They said it about radio then TV, in my lifetime I remember it being said about microwaves, overhead powerlines, plugs, dishwashers, mobiles and now wi-fi.

We should all go back and live in caves, in fact anyone who says any of these things gives you cancer should be thrown in a cave.

Comment

Even if you could turn your network off, how close are your neighbours? Are you going to ask them to turn their networks off too?

In my last flat in London I could detect six wi-fi networks. I am now in suburbia but can still pick up between two and five (although the strength of the others is minimal).

There is no evidence at the moment that shows this radiation causes any problems.

There are the usual worriers, but I put these down as the same sort of people that claimed they could "see the TV pictures in their head" when they were first transmitted by UHF radio waves.

Comment

Wi-Fi is relatively new in the technological age of things (though the underlying technology isn't), so who knows ?

You need a few generations for the mutations to clearly manifest themselves, though of course, some of these could be quite beneficial.

Imagine having 8 arms for example, or 6 monstrous giant willies, or even suction hands and feet like a gecko ?

Imagine all of the above, and you could stand upside down on your ceiling, giving yourself 6 hand jobs whilst reading the paper !

How seriously cool is that !

Not all mutations are bad you know !

And don't believe the story about hackers being able to change the wavelengths so that they can manipulate the emissions and change your DNA.

That's completely false and silly and nothing like that could ever ever ever happen in a billion years ever. Honestly.

But I shall let you in to a little secret.

Whilst wi-fi may or may not be dangerous to your health, there is something infinitely more lethal to be worried about.

Being born.

In fact, recent surveys have discovered that there is a 100% correllation to dying, and they have found that being born is the primary cause of this malady.

Amazing huh ?
        Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
          Imagine having 8 arms for example, or 6 monstrous giant willies,
          I don't want any more mutations thanks. I already have one monstrous giant willy which is quite enough for my needs. That was the product of my last genetic mutation. That and my ridiculously poor grasp of reality.

Comment

Comparisons of Radio Wave Power (RF) Emissions

* FM Radio Transmitter: up to 10 Kilowatts
            * Microwave Oven: 800Watt
            * GSM Mobile phone base station: 40Watt
            * Commercial 2-way radio: 30Watt
            * GSM Mobile phone handset: up to 2Watt
            * Bluetooth: up to 100milliwatt (in 2.4 GHz)
            * Wifi: up to 100milliwatt (in 2.4GHz)

Worry not.

http://www.thiscausescancer.com/
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

lightng casually tossed in to the conversation : I already have one monstrous giant willy which is quite enough for my needs
              Have you considered a career in ahem, "adult" movies ?

A Plan B perchance ?
              Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

There's 2 fields to consider, the RF & the magnetic. Both are emitted from the router. RF is nothing to worry about at low power magnetic energy however, that's another story, especially at high frequencies approaching the microwave wavelength. Most particularly mm wavelengths at high frequency with power. Magnetic energy at those frequencies, depending on the power, has the ability to effect organisms like you and me on the molecular scale - there's no debate of this.

My final year project was to eliminate the GSM interference hearing aid users receive - cause pain in some cases. I discovered RF energy was not much to worry about and you could eliminate with a faraday cage of some kind.

The Magnetic energy does not have the same transmission length as RF at the same power. With mobile phones you find the magnetic field depletes to almost undetectable amount after a few centimetres.

I'd be more concerned of my mobile than a router since you're never likely to hold the transmitter so close.

Advice don't spend too much time on your mobile in poor areas of reception for hours at a time!

I try and make as much use of my headset myself when I must use the phone.

Bottom line - we're beings easily damaged on all scales. Buying a phone is no different to buying cigs as far as health is concerned, both a likely to cause damage at some stage.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Got to admit, I cannot get a hardon since I bought that mobile jammer for the train, my extra 4 balls get in the way now.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Magnetic energy at those frequencies, depending on the power, has the ability to effect organisms like you and me
                    What, cause us to happen? I thought we relied on our parents' reproductive capacity for that.

I think you meant affect

Comment

Working...
                    X