• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I stand as a contractor on getting a new chair for H&S reasons?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a contractor working for a company 3 days a week

I used to be a full time employee of another company and I had a bad back so H&S got me a new chair.

you go for it mate,

ask them for a company car and an index linked final salary pension while you're are at it

you never know, if you don't ask...

Milan.

Comment

I don't think you qualify by rights although they'll probably accomodate if it doesn't cost them anything

Comment

This is a really tough one. Technically, they would be on the wrong end of a pay-out if you became incapable of working, having told them of the problem and they did nothing.

But OTOH why would you expect them to get you a new chair, if they already have complianent chairs for the rest of their staff.

You probably have some rights under the DDA, even as a subbie, some companies will have no problem with complying but others will just ignore the problem until they just decide not to re-new you.

Tim

Comment

New Chair

There is a H&S obligation on the company to supply you with a chair which meets your health requirements and dos not cause you injury. The fact that you are not an employee is neither here nor there.

Comment

alright,

ignore the noddies

look mate, you're a contractor right ?

have a word with your boss and tell him about the
            back problem and ask him if he wouldn't mind if
            you bring your OWN special back supporting chair

now that is the professional contractor solution

going and asking the boss to provide one, you're on a
            hiding to getting kicked out or not extended

also buying your own when the contract finishes you can use it in your
            home office

here endeth the lesson

Milan.

Comment

Agree with milano - get yourself one of these. They're excellent (as a fellow back sufferer whose bought one).

http://www.posturite.co.uk/Posturite...tegory/Chairs/

They come to your office and fit them to size and show you how to use it. You trial it for a few weeks before you buy. Great service.

Or to be really flash, get one of these:

If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Brilliant - bring your own chair to client site!!!!!

Can just imagine this if you're contracting in the city and you commute...

...at least you'll get a seat on the tube!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                  Brilliant - bring your own chair to client site!!!!!
                  Might help with that IR35 case

Comment

Those chairs..

Its difficult because I'm only contracting 3 days for them and 2 days for myself from my own office. I do like those chairs though!

Comment

Working...
                    X